TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question Am I missing protective "cable ties" or "loop" cable holders on my shell wire cables?

It's too dark to take a picture under there (black tire and black cable wrap) - but I'll try to describe my concern in words:

The "rear shell" cable consists of several individual conductors in a black plastic "cable wrap". (This wrapper looks like nylon "threads" in a loosely woven "fabric".) That cable, and the similar "front shell" cable, come out of the TM body behind the fridge. Then , they both go through ONE loop on the underside of the TM, before going near the tire on their ways up the corresponding Shells.

There is a very long free segment in one of these cables, coming within less than 3/4" of the tire. The cable is fairly stiff, and I don't see any evidence of damage from "cable wrap" fabric rubbing against the tire. at least, not YET.

Does everyone with small models (2619, 2720) else have this big cable loop waving "free" along the outside front corner of the tire, or do you have some additional "plastic loops" which help to keep the cables away from the tire?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation Yes - my twist ties are broken, must put on new ones when I next open the Trailer.

Comparing against Commodore47's pictures (linked from http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13913, I am missing at least two "Cable Twist Ties" from along my lift arms.

Here is the most relevant photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/commodo...54492916600130
The first ones which I am missing, but appear in the photo, are the pair of ties which between the two pairs of lift screws at the bottom end of the arms. These twist ties hold cable assemblies along the wider back side of each lift arm, next to the trailer, and prevent the large "hanging loose" portions which I now have by the tire. (In the photo, they're wrapped in solid, weatherproof plastic; I have only nylon webbing on mine.)

Without the ties, the large portions of the "free loops" at the upper ends of the arms simply fall down, next to the tire.
-----
My thanks also to Wayne, who did a PERMANENT fix-up and sent me pictures. I might do that, when time permits.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
MisterP

Here in FL, I replace the ties regularly. The sun destroys them pretty quickly. Have had to replace a few of the tie holders that screw into the trailer as well. I consider it part of normal maintenance.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Riwright
TrailManor Master

The clear/white zip ties are not intended for outdoor use. The plastic allows the sunlight to penetrate and destroy the tie.

You can get uv stabilized cable ties that will last longer. They are black. You should be able to get them at the hardware store. Don't go cheap, get the best you can find.

Some people use stainless steel hose clamps. These will hold up indefinitely. I don't think they are ideal in this application though. I would worry about road vibration causing the steel clamp to cut into the wire.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote