TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
cire74

Default I now dump my tanks at home

All these years of RVing and it never occurred to me I could dump both black and grey tanks at home after a trip. I use my sewer hose and connnect it to the sewer access pipe in my yard which fits flush just like a dump station. I confirmed it was the correct pipe by having my daughter flush the toilet in the house while I looked down the pipe. Sure enough the water flowed by. Anyone else do this? It definitely beats trying to locate a dump station if you end up staying where there isn’t one. I have driven miles out of the way just to locate one.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I'll be doing this soon myself. Unfortunately, not all sewer cleanouts have the connection that works like yours. I have a 6" cleanout pipe. I will probably have to insert my flexible hose several feet down the 6" pipe, then stuff some closed cell foam around the opening. Either that, or get a 6-4" reducer and glue a fitting on the 4" end that works with my flexible hose.

Other people are even unluckier. Their cleanout may be on the opposite side of the property!

So, consider yourself LUCKY!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Cire,

The other advantage to dumping at home is the homeward bound leg of a trip is the most tiring. The last thing you want to do is stop to dump the tanks with a tired family. You just wanna get home. Period. Then the trailer is all put away and then you remember the holding tanks! For us, this is no longer a worry.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 07-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
cire74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Cire,

The other advantage to dumping at home is the homeward bound leg of a trip is the most tiring. The last thing you want to do is stop to dump the tanks with a tired family. You just wanna get home. Period. Then the trailer is all put away and then you remember the holding tanks! For us, this is no longer a worry.
This is exactly why I was elated that I could dump at home. When the trip is over the last thing I want to do is drive around looking for a dump. And the few phone apps out there that are supposed to show dump locations don’t work anymore or aren’t accurate. I usually only camp for 2-3 nights at a time before returning home so this will be perfect.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Speaking of dump station info, this site has been very accurate so far:
https://www.sanidumps.com/

Ironically, the signs on the road are 5 years out of date and lead to you a long gone dump station.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 07-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
rmHaar

Ours is on a hilly spot and there isn't room on the up hill side unfortunately.
rmHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
cire74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmHaar View Post
Ours is on a hilly spot and there isn't room on the up hill side unfortunately.
Can you use a macerator pump to get it to flow uphill? Not sure how much of an incline it is but I read that the macerator can accelerate it enough to flow up an incline.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
cire74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Speaking of dump station info, this site has been very accurate so far:
https://www.sanidumps.com/

Ironically, the signs on the road are 5 years out of date and lead to you a long gone dump station.

I have used that site but unfortunately there isnt anything within a 10 mile area of me. I also refuse to pay $10-20 to dump. Ill just bring it home from now on unless the place I am staying has one.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire74 View Post
Can you use a macerator pump to get it to flow uphill? Not sure how much of an incline it is but I read that the macerator can accelerate it enough to flow up an incline.
At my house, on a fairly steep hill, the sewer cleanout is inside the basement. I use a macerator pump to lift from inside the garage, where TM is parked, up the garage -> kitchen entry steps and into the house, routing a long hose from there. My total lift is about 6 feet, and my 12V macerator pump is able to pump VERY fast against that amount of lift and the resistance of a lengthy outlet hose (although my outlet hose is 1-1/4", and not a mere garden hose).

It's no nice to dump at home after parking in the garage, in comparison to dragging over to some RV dump location for a fee. Most of our camping is Boondock, with no opportunity to dump at the "campground".
Old 07-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
oldstick
TrailManor Master

We have a sewer access at home too in a perfect location to pull the trailer right up beside it. Right on the way to it's normal parking spot also.

However I mainly only use that for flushing out my tank and toilet after a trip. I just don't like the idea of driving that far with the extra water weight, nor a tank of "stuff" sloshing all around. Luckily most of the places we camp have dump stations near the exit. I would definitely bring it home rather than driving out of the way to find a dump.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote