TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
Gwenne & Len

Default Add another refrig?

We are new owners, and have taken our first 'trial' 2 week trip......LOVED the TM!! I am thinking of getting a supplemental portable refrigerator (not a thermoelectric, but a real portable fridge)......does anyone have suggestions or experience with this? It could set on the dresser, next to the norcold, and would give us real freezer capacity.

Also - I'm new to this site - is there a better way to post a question? I only see a way to post a reply......?
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Gwenne & Len

Default portable refrigerator/freezer?

Has anyone added a portable refrg/freezer to their TM? I'm thinking of setting one on our dresser so improve food storage options. We are new owners of a 2005 2720, have done our first 2 week trial trip, and love the TM.....just wanting to refine it now. Also, I just ordered a toaster/convection oven.....do those get beat up too much? any suggestions?
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Jim Moses

Default Engel ReFrig

Engel Frig's have the best ratings that I have seen, I do not have one but they draw very little current, most are only 1.75 amp's at 12 vdc
not cheap though!
here's one of there many models

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SIRDD0...=II7CE9L0GZ6MJ
Jim Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Here's the one I bought--

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-01...erator+freezer

It's pretty small, but the day before a trip, I can get it chilled, then pack food. And the morning that I'm leaving, just plug it into the TV. Then, I've got an extra cooler I can plug in the TM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I use a larger Dometic ac/DC and love it!
Freezer or frig capable

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Skyjim73

Default Highly recommend!

The current generation of compressor fridge/freezers are great! I have a little Dometic CDF-11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X97OHA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

We use that one in the truck cab, but it was really bought as an experiment to see how loud the Danfoss compressor was and if we could sleep with it on in our old trailer. No problem there, which led to me having a compressor fridge installed in our TM by the factory.

Looking at purchasing a bigger one in the 50 quart range, probably an ARB, for installation under our truck shell for long trips when we want more cold storage.
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Gwenne, do you dry camp or do you stay at places where you'll always have shore power? If the later a dorm sized fridge or smaller would work for you, if you dry/boondock camp and work off of batteries and solar power than any of the DC choices mentioned are good options.

As to storing items when traveling, I put those items I want protected some on the floor and cover them with my sleeping bags or blankets. You could also store the oven in a larger plastic bin and add some padding to keep it from bouncing around.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I'd be concerned about a dorm fridge in a trailer or even a TV, they are not designed for vibration or tilting.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Many, many years ago, I went camping in my popup and in the site next to me there sat a Coleman popup. When the sun was setting, two truck loads of people and kids showed up. They opened the pup, set up a couple of tents and then set up their outdoor kitchen. The first thing they set up was a 5 ft tall refrigerator. After seeing that set up...I figured anything is possible. I totally agree with keeping the fridge upright during transport. If you set a fridge on it's side you have to give it time for the oils to settle before operating it. Vibration shouldn't be that big an issue, unless of course you go off road camping and go over pretty rough roads and trails. That would/could cause damage to the fridge, camper or vehicle if you kept it in the vehicle till ya get to your site.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up 5500 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I'd be concerned about a dorm fridge in a trailer or even a TV, they are not designed for vibration or tilting.
I paid $20 for the one I took on our last trip and it rode in the very back of the bed of my truck without a single incident with it. Was always cold and the extra space came in handy. It's just your average office size fridge about the size of the Norcold.
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote