TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Dalat

Default Can I pull my Trailmanor to Canada?

Hi All,

I am thinking about going to Canada on Memorial holliday for a 2-night camping trip. But I just learned that the Canada department of road has prohibited some type of RV into Canada roads.

My question is, are we allowed to pull a Trailmanor into Vancouver, BC? Have anyone camping in Canada with a Trailmanor?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The Canadian rules are that the width of the towed trailer should be less than 8.6ft, and less than 41ft in length and no higher (taller) than 12ft. Must have brakes, breakaway device and safety chains when towed behind a vehicle. Must have proof of insurance and proof of ownership or authorization letter from the registered owner.

Maximum RV height 4.15 m.; maximum RV width 2.6 m.; maximum trailer length 12.5 m; maximum motorhome length 12.5 m.; maximum length of two-vehicle combination 20 m./65 1/2 ft.; three-vehicle combinations are prohibited.
RV Safety Requirements: Trailers over 3,000 lbs. must have trailer brakes on all wheels, breakaway switch and safety chains (except fifth-wheel trailers). Motorhomes (only) may tow motor vehicles via a tow bar without brakes hooked up on the towed motor vehicle when the towed motor vehicle’s weight is less than 4,409 lbs. and less than 40 percent of the gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) of the motorhome towing it.
Driving Laws: Right turn on red is allowed, unless posted otherwise. All passengers must wear seat belts; children up to 40 lbs. must be in child-restraint safety seats.
More Information: Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, Commercial Transport and Inspection, Box 3750, Victoria BC V8W 3Y5
Emergency number: 911

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

Make sure your passport is up to date. Can't enter Canada w/o one. Also, if you have a gun check Canadian laws about that. Very strict and many types are not allowed in their country. Allowed types must have permits to enter.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Digger

I've made over a dozen trips into Canada with my TM and they have never even taken a second glance at it. Have passports ready and no weapons and you are good to go.

ED
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

All the above mentioned items by RVCYCLEGUY are right on the nose. We tow our 2720 to Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island every summer from Calgary Alberta and the laws are about the same, but there is one more thing I will mention and that is that in both provinces there is a restriction on using any electronic device when traveling including Cell Phones by the driver. You can't even use them when stopped at a light, l not even the GPS. You are supposed to program them when properly parked. These driving laws came into efect not that long ago and the fines are quiet high. Enjoy you trip.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwantau View Post
All the above mentioned items by RVCYCLEGUY are right on the nose. We tow our 2720 to Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island every summer from Calgary Alberta and the laws are about the same, but there is one more thing I will mention and that is that in both provinces there is a restriction on using any electronic device when traveling including Cell Phones by the driver. You can't even use them when stopped at a light, l not even the GPS. You are supposed to program them when properly parked. These driving laws came into efect not that long ago and the fines are quiet high. Enjoy you trip.
Very interesting. What is the definition of "using" regarding to GPS devices? Does it mean I cannot even have it hung up on the winshield? How about my car has a built-in internal GPS? Or does the term "using" only means that you cannot program the destination while driving?

Another question, may be in a wrong post, but I just take the advantages anyway: Do you have any recommendation for RV-Parks in Vancouver, BC?

Thanks all.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
grakin

I'll echo that I've towed in Ontario and Alberta without any issues at all.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

As to your question about the GPS about usage. Usage being the actual operation ( dialing in a destination that you want to go to) whether you are driving or stopped at a stoplight is prohibited. You have to park in a proper parking site and that means not at the side of a higway as that is also a no no. Get your passenger to do it. My DW is my handsfree device when it comes to my cell phone. The fine in Alberta is $172.00 and goes up after a second offence. Hope that helps you. Happy motoring.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Sorry forgot about your second question about RV parks in the Vancouver area. We never stop in Vancouver but head for the ferry to Vancouver island so not familiar with any campsites. Mayby someone else can pipe up on that one that lives in the area. Oh and by the way handsfree devices (Bluetooth) are allowed for cell phones etc.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
PopBeavers

Unrelated to towing, Somewhere I read that Canada is not fond, specifically, of radar detectors, etc. Leave them at home.