TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
pauloh

Default Installing replacement roof vents without "clamps" or screws?

I could use a little advice. I’m in the middle of replacing my TM’s two non-powered roof vents following a hailstorm a while back (photos of taking them out are attached). The original TM/Ventline vents I’ve removed were a “clamp-in” style, clamped to the ceiling with 4 screws inside the TM. The Ventline vents I purchased while traveling in another state are not clamp-in, they instead are designed to be screwed to the roof (part #V2092SP-28). They test-fit perfectly though, so I’m planning to go ahead with using them. (The FantasticFan vent which is still intact on my TM is apparently installed with this type of screw-in perimeter.)

I’ve cleaned all the old caulk off the roof, and off the synthetic wood vent “risers”...I’m ready to install the new vents....

I’d rather not drill new holes into my roof to hold down the risers or vents, and am thinking of just using a good adhesive caulk (possibly 3M 4200 I have on hand) to attach the risers to the roof. Then use short screws to attach the vent to the risers. Considering use of 4-inch Eternabond RoofSeal around each vent/riser up over the screw heads to add some additional “security”. Or at least caulk all edges with silicone and at each screw hole to seal those up.

I’ll be putting MaxxAir vent covers over the whole thing...these are attached to the vent itself so there will be some drag in high winds/going down the road. Will it all hold with those risers attached only with an adhesive such as 3M 4200? A possible alternative for more security would be to use long screws only at the corners of the vents, penetrating into the roof skin. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6071.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	9224   Click image for larger version

Name:	6079.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	9225   Click image for larger version

Name:	6083.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	9226   Click image for larger version

Name:	6085.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	9227   Click image for larger version

Name:	6088.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	9228  

TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Don't they sell just the plastic cover separately? I could swear that I've seen them at Camping World.

I believe that ours were the clamp-in type (it's been a while). I'm a little afraid of really strong adhesives, if you need to take it of for some reason, will you be able to? Are the risers in good shape? If not then I'd think about replacing them, just in case.

Not a fun job, I have one more to do and really don't want to do all of that scraping of the caulk. Maybe if it cools off and I have a free weekend I'll go at it. If you put screws in, caulk goes a long way towards keeping the leaks away.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Don't they sell just the plastic cover separately? I could swear that I've seen them at Camping World.

I believe that ours were the clamp-in type (it's been a while). I'm a little afraid of really strong adhesives, if you need to take it of for some reason, will you be able to? Are the risers in good shape? If not then I'd think about replacing them, just in case.
Yes, I think you can buy just the vent cover (I did get one for the FantasticFan under their lifetime warranty, being more durable than the Ventline it suffered only slight damage), but in our case the hail came through the Ventline cover and destroyed the screen below so I need the complete replacement.

I've read elsewhere here that the 3M 4200 is only "semipermanent" vs. the 5200 which is quite permanent. The risers are in very good shape (still covered with old caulk in my photos, now cleaned up), they're made of some kind of resin that looks like wood, no rot at all. I was planning to use regular silicone caulk to seal the vent to the risers, along with screws into the risers through the caulk below. Maybe the Eternabond would be overkill but I have some on hand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Pauloh,

Here is a link to replacement Ventline screens:

http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...tline%20screen

And a replacement Ventline Old Style dome:

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tra...BV0554-01.html

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Pauloh,

Here is a link to replacement Ventline screens:

http://accessories.etrailer.com/sear...tline%20screen

And a replacement Ventline Old Style dome:

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tra...BV0554-01.html

Dick
Thanks commodor47...I noticed none of the replacements they offer are the clamp-in style (apparently)...they all seem to have the screw holes like the ones I bought recently. Perhaps "clamp-in" can be ordered from a TM dealer but I'm going to try the ones I have already. One nice feature of the new vents is that you can easily take out the screen (or replace it if damaged), ours always collected bugs/debris that rode around with us until I could get up on the roof and clean them out! We've got rain/snow coming in here so my vent project is delayed a while.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloh View Post
Thanks commodor47...I noticed none of the replacements they offer are the clamp-in style (apparently)...they all seem to have the screw holes like the ones I bought recently. Perhaps "clamp-in" can be ordered from a TM dealer but I'm going to try the ones I have already. One nice feature of the new vents is that you can easily take out the screen (or replace it if damaged), ours always collected bugs/debris that rode around with us until I could get up on the roof and clean them out! We've got rain/snow coming in here so my vent project is delayed a while.
That's what's nice about our new Fantastic Fan, it has a reverse flow and will blow that stuff right out.

You can always use a leaf blower, too, LOL!