TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Factor

Default Importing to Canada

Importing TM to Canada - my experience

Purchase TM from U.S. Dealer. Remember exchange, $23,000.00 U.S. is approximately $30,000.00 Canadian.

Bring TM to Canadian Customs. Pay General Sales Tax (G.S.T.) Which is 7% of the Canadian price, eg. $30,000.00 * 7% = $2,100.00. Pay $182.00 for Vehicle Import Form to have TM inspected at a Federal Inspection Centre.. There are designated places where this can be done. Canadian Tire does inspections across Canada. The inspection cannot be completed until documents are received from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

Once documents are received from the Registrar bring the TM to Canadian Tire (On other designated place) for inspection. A letter on TM letterhead must be received documenting whether or not there have been an recalls on the TM. The inspection focuses on the lighting/reflectors, e.g. signal lights, brake lights, turn signals. The tires are inspected. Takes a few minutes. The inspector fills out a Trailer Compliance Inspection Report

Bring papers (purchase invoice, inspection papers, etc. to Provincial Licensing Office. Obtain trailer license plates and registration. Pay Provincial Sales Tax (P.S.T.) Which in Ontario is 8%, e.g. $30,000.00 * 8% = $2,400.00 as well as the cost of the plates, $35.00. Attach plates to TM.

In about two weeks the Registrar will send a Canadian Certification Label which must be attached to the TM near the U.S. Label.

Total cost for $23,000.00 U.S., TM once all has been done - $35,717.00 (Canadian)

All of this takes about 3 - 4 weeks.

There may or may not be State taxes, depending on the State. This would have to be explored.

One final comment. How do you get the TM home without Trailer plates? How do you get to an inspection centre without plates? Check with your Motor Vehicle licensing Office. You can just drive it home and tell the police officer the process. Maybe it will be sufficient, but, don’t quote me. I was a Police Officer for 35 years, 20 years as Chief of Police.

And there is insurance for the TM. In Ontario, a trailer is covered by the towing vehicle’s insurance. This does not cover other damages, eg, tree falling on it, fire, etc.

Sounds complicated, but, not really.

John
Old 08-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
armistjb

Thumbs up Good Information

John:

Thanks for posting this information. It is valuable to someone like myself still looking into purchasing a TM.

Actually visited a dealer in New Hampshire recently, the closest one to my home at about 250 miles. Not quite as far as you travelled. I must admit, the exchange on a $20,000 trailer is discouraging even at today's low exchange rates and that is the sticker for me at the moment.

Good luck with your new trailer.

John
Old 08-28-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Factor

Default Importing

JOHN
I intended to e-mail you, so glad you saw this post.
John
Old 09-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Factor

Default Canada

Two weeks ago, we received a call on our answering machine from a Quebec couple who said they just purchased their Trailmanor 10 minutes ago. It surprised us that the dealer had the letter that I sent Trailmanor outling the process. I called them and they were happy with their purchase, a 2720 SL, I believe.

Actually, today I saw a Trailmanor leaving Atikokan. Was tempted to turn around and follow it to see who they were.

john