TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Surftxn

Default Is Sand an enemy??

We camp at the beach quite a bit. Is that a hostile environment for a TM? Blowing sand and moving parts seems like a potential problem. Our pop up worked fine.
Surftxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Any time I go to the beach everything is washed on my return. Not so much for sand as salt spray.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Sand is a problem when there are tight tolerances between frequently moving parts, of a size similar to the size of a grain of sand. Mostly bearings. The Trailmanor itself is built with large tolerances and no real bearings except on the axles. Most of the things that would be bothered by sand are open, and the sand falls out. The axles have seals that should keep out sand unless they've failed. The stabilizers and the jack on the front A-frame, however, have lead screws and, in the case of the jack, bearings that can be effected.

One thing that can make sand a problem is use of a grease that entraps sand and carries it into moving parts. For this reason, using heavy grease on the stabilizers might not be as good as frequently spraying them with a light lubricant like "WD-40", which is adequate as a rust preventative and may displace grit rather than pick it up.

A dry silicone spray is often preferred for parts where it is an adequate lubricant because it tends not to pick up sand and dirt.

I generally apply white lithium grease to the tow ball just before I drop the trailer onto it, and then wipe it off with a few paper towels as soon as I unhook the trailer. This is mostly because if I don't wipe it off it ends up on my pants, and then on the tow vehicle door, etc. But wiping it off removes any grit it's picked up.

The coupler on my TM has started to bind when I attempt to close or open it, and I'm going to have to spray it with brake-cleaner to get out the old, gritty grease and then re-lubricate it. Brake cleaner is nasty stuff and you need eye protection and old clothes for that job.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Strongly recommend Shop-Solv by Castle Chemicals instead of brake cleaner. Dries almost instantly with no residue. I'm a mechanic and prefer it 10 to 1 over regular brake cleaner.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

sand is an issue because you get it everywhere. You will be cleaning out sand from the inside for a long time. Wipe out the ball coupler and re grease before hooking up. Good chance three will be sand in it.

My big concern on a saltwater beach is the salt that will dry on the camper. Wash top and underside well to reduce future corrosion. Aluminium and salt don't play well together.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote