TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2001, 04:20 AM   #1

Default Generators?

???We will be camping ('99 3124KB) on some rural property with no utilities (and no close neighbors) and were wondering if anyone has had any experience with generators. Any advice or comments on type, size, functionality, satisfaction, recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:14 AM   #2

Default Re: Generators?

:P I have a 1000 watt coleman that I bought on sale at Kmart for less than $200. We went dry camping with our 2720 to see how long we could run on battery etc. The coleman is not big enough to run our air conditioner which is seldom used if we can stand it. Our 12 volt TV was used and we ran the single battery to exaustion. It took less than 2 hours of running the generator for the battery to show full on the panel. The battery had lasted from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. The TV started to fade for lack of power late Saturday night. Of course, we only bought the coleman which is very portable for a backup. It is big enough to run our small microwave if we need it. I don't like the noise of the generator when it is running and am looking for a quieter muffler for it. Good camping. GK
Old 08-20-2001, 05:16 AM   #3

Slim,

This past spring, I did some dry camping in one of the National Forests here in Michigan.  I was chasing the elusive morel mushroom.  Anyway, to that end, I purchased a 2000 Watt Honda EU Generator.  The price is high $900 +, but the product is excellent. It is extremely quiet, and has a economy trottle feature which will easily support a 120 volt tv and recharging your battery.  When required: coffee pot, toaster, etc. the unit will rev up to handle the excess load.  Of course, one must manage the usage on high wattage items and the two thousand watts output won't handle the air conditioner.  It only weighs 48 lbs.  There is a 3000 Watt EU unit (it weighs around 150 lbs) and several smaller EU Models.  Most, if not all, of these Honda generators will run in parallel.  Therefore, for a another $900+ I could run at 4000 watts.

Happy Trails.............George
Old 08-20-2001, 05:08 PM   #4

George,

I went the same route with the Honda EU2000i generator, and since I want to use the trailer on my own remote property, I bought two so I could run the A/C on hotter days.

The parallel cables are special to the EU2000 and only became available in the past few weeks.  Add about $225 more for this cable.  I have one on order.  I expect a 30amp connector attached to the parallel cables.

I particularly like how quiet these generators are, and how light they are.   An EU3000 weighs about 135lbs, as I recall.

Jon
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
NC Camper

A 1000 watt two cycle unit is available at Northern Tool for $149.00. I've seen them running lights and fans at concession stands and they were quiet.The owner said pretty well indestructable if one mixed the oil right.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Regardless of what brand and watt rating you buy, you want to think about fuel consumption. Under reduced load (no air conditioner) your inverter type generators will run "forever" while your less expensive loud generators will continue to consume fuel at or near full load rate.

...and a low purr vs a screamer is a gift that keeps on giving whether you are alone or not.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
PopBeavers

A Honda 2000 generator will run my a/c at sea level, but not in the mountains. From my research it appears that the Yamaha 2400 will run the a/c up to around 6,000 feet.

You don't need a quiet generator for your situation, because you will not have neighbors complaining about the noise. It is up to you if you can tolerate the noise of your own generator. Cheap contractor generators tend to be rather loud. Quiet generators are expensive.

Cheap contractor generators are not famous for producing clean sine wave power. It is typically more of a square wave. For running sensitive electronics, like television and dvd player, you might need cleaner power.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
sharon

Default popbeavers/generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
A Honda 2000 generator will run my a/c at sea level, but not in the mountains. From my research it appears that the Yamaha 2400 will run the a/c up to around 6,000 feet.

You don't need a quiet generator for your situation, because you will not have neighbors complaining about the noise. It is up to you if you can tolerate the noise of your own generator. Cheap contractor generators tend to be rather loud. Quiet generators are expensive.

Cheap contractor generators are not famous for producing clean sine wave power. It is typically more of a square wave. For running sensitive electronics, like television and dvd player, you might need cleaner power.
do you mean that the honda 2000 will run the 13,500 a/c on the tm???? not many places sea level tho--------sharon
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
do you mean that the honda 2000 will run the 13,500 a/c on the tm???? not many places sea level tho--------sharon
My TM 2720 is the 2005 model. I really don't know what the size of the roof top low profile a/c is.

At home, 200 feet above sealevel it runs fine. Anywhere I go camping in the mountains, usually above 5,000 feet, it will not run at all.

I have been watching this topic with great interest here and also at rv.net. Most, but not all 13,500 BTU a/c's will run up to around 6,000 to 8,000 feet on a single Yamaha 2400. I may sell the Honda and buy the Yamaha.

I don't think the Yamaha 2400 was available in March 2005 when I bought my Honda. If it was, it certainly was not getting discussed very much.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
Maldos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

My wife and i just spent 8 night at Twin Lakes, Mammoth, CA in our 2027SL, we used out Yamaha 2400i generator to power the micro, coffee, recharge the batts, and TV. Elevation was 8500ft and the Yam2400 would not run the AC without an overload. Darn thing weighs at about 75lb. Thinking of purchasing two Honda 2000i gens and parallel together for the hot days.

Also no hookups, waste was collected in Baker 32gal tote and dumped on final day for $10 per dump.
Maldos is offline   Reply With Quote