TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
curlyontop

Default Beware

Beware the Elkmont...My husband and I bought a 2010 in ay of this year and have had nothing but problems. We have had 5 (five) total leaks in only 2 (two trips). We are totally dissatisfied and would love to have our 1995 Coleman Sun Ridge back!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Scott O

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure this is a really good place to vent, but if you can give us some specific problems maybe the group can come up with some specific solutions. There is a tremendous amount of expertise here, so give us a chance. And don't give up on your TM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with your Elkmont, we saw a couple of them at the TM Rally in Petaluma in October and they are gorgeous. We noted that the people who bought them had some issues, but the guys at Custom RV (apparently our only remaining TM dealer here in California) were actively doing what needed to be done to rectify the situation. TM does stand behind their product, but it can be a hassle (and very disappointing) to have to drag it to the dealer for repairs instead of using it to go camping when you buy it. I hope you can get your leaks fixed without too much hassle and be on your merry way to the campgrounds soon.

Has your dealer been helpful with the repairs?

D'
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
ib4classics

We went on a factory tour this November and watched Elkmonts under construction. When they were completed each had a water leak test at the end of the assembly line.
They put an oscilating sprinkler on the roof for about 2 hours, near the end of which staff went inside with flash lights and took their time to look over every inch of the trailer.
This "rain fall" test may not have been a gully washer but it shows they check every unit that they build.
Our feeling is that as a family owned company, they stand behind their product and do care about their reputation.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Nature Recorder

I am the proud owner of an Elkmont since July and feel I should say spmething. I 'can say I have had no leak issues with my trailer. Living in the Portland area of Oregon we get our fair share of rainfall running from "gully washer" to light misting, from a few minutes duration to several days of constant pouring. On the heavy rains I will occasionally check the interior and have yet to find any rain induced issues.

You did not mention where these leaks were being witnessed. I have camped in some cool areas, high 30's low 40's, and have waken to small rivulets of condensation running down from the windows as it collects on their lower sills. I just wipe things down with paper towels as the coffee is brewing and the rivulets stop immediately. Or during a rain have left a vent partially open and the spray from the rain had found its way inside.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
rumbleweed

Based on my experience I do not believe the leaks many people are seeing are due to poor workmanship, instead they the result of abuse. To clarify, the selling feature of the TM is maximum creature comfort at minimum weight / tow effort. To accomplish this, you give up some durability ( ie cant walk on roof) but still have a very viable home away from home. Many of the leaks I have seen, especially on new TM's appear to be the result of overly aggressive washing techniques by dealers. No one wants to pick up their new TM covered with dirt so dealers thoroughly wash them. Most dealers do not have PHD's in the wash bay. In an effort to speed up washing, washers sometimes use high pressure hoses or power washers like those used to wash Big rigs. This can easily loosen the seam caulk and cause a leak. I had several leaks on my new TM immediately after delivery and chose to remove and recaulk all the roof seams at one time . This was a little extra effort, but many heavy rains later not one leak.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
kenngeri2720

We have had our Elkmont for almost a year now and spent a lot of time this summer camping in it. When we first bought our trailer there were a few items to be fixed, but no more than you would have with a new care or home. Our local dealer (The Car Show) fixed everything that was wrong with the trailer including a modification to the frame that was discovered after the first models were built that now have a shorter tongue (trailer to hitch). We have had no water leaks even with hard rain and cold snowy nights below freezing. This is a great trailer and I did not think they could get any better than our first TM the 2720.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
mkayers

We've only been on one week long trip so far with our new Elkmont but haven't had any leak issues either. We love it so far.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Redhawk

I guess I'm always a bit skeptical when someones first post is like this one with little details and no quick return to answer questions.....if it's on the level, I hope they are at the TM dealer getting issues addressed and are happy.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

WOW!!!! My hope is that there is a mis-understanding somewhere and the TM has not been properly apprised of the extent of the damage.

It's stories like this that makes reputable companies over-night has-beens.

Please do keep us updated. I'm certain that TM will make this right. I would be extremely disappointed if they don't.