TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
Bill & Lisa

I don't like the swerve either. I prefer to maintain my SA (situational awareness) diligently and glancing in the mirrors often remind me the trailer is back there. I try not to forget that since the time I found myself in a starbucks drive through with a 180 degree turn with an 8 foot radius with the trailer attached. (search on starbucks if you missed it and want a laugh). I have the mirrors that clip on with 3 little adjustable legs with pads that keep falling off and they take awhile to get adjusted properly but I don't feel safe driving without them and they do accomplish the intended goal. More things in life to worry about than inconvient mirrors.

I would agree with your assesment on my site picture. I have yet had anyone "disappear" behind me and they like to follow close in this area
Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
grampa

My 2 cents worth. In Florida the DMV code says mirrors must be sufficiently far apart to see a point 200 feet behind the towed vehicle. this applies to 18 wheelers,RV's, etc.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Besides being able to see behind the trailer, towing mirrors give the driver a visual cue about the side clearance necessary to accommodate the width of the trailer. My 3023 is 7 inches wider than my Grand Cherokee on each side. The mirrors help me to maintain the side clearance. Without them, it might be too easy to shear off the side of the trailer.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My main mirrors are 76" center to center, strap ons 87" (usually pointed at TM wheels) , but then I also have a rear view camera on the back of the TM.

I can see something less than a foot behind the rear bumper and out to LOS.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

interesting question. Just took the flash light and keys out to the ram and came up with 85" center to center. Don't use clip ons, just the stock. Works great. Have clip on for the Cherokee from when we used it to move the Outback which is wider then the TM.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I always found it is easier backing up straight with mirrors that stick out past the width of the camper. You can see when the rear begins to move in a direction and make a slight correction. If the mirrors are to short you have to wait until the rear moves enough to clear the blind spot and then make larger corrections.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote