TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjbourge View Post
Hi Shandysplace,

I noticed in your early post that you had a 3326 TM and now a Elkmont 26 TM. We have a 2720 TM 2010 for the past two camping seasons and have been thinking of upgrading to the Elkmont. We thought of the 26 footer but last week we were at the dealer and saw a 24 that had a soffa bed instead of the permanent bed, which give you a lot more walking room in the trailer. But my main question is how do you like the Elkmont and is it really worth upgrading to. We pull our TM with a 2008 Honda Ridgeline and have had no wind problems or sway, but we are both in our late 60's and putting up and taking down of the TM is getting tougher. We had taken a crosscountry trip last year with the TM and made 29 campgrounds some for only one night, by the end of the trip we were getting better at the set up and take down, but still it took a toll. Do you get any sway when towing and is set up quicker?
Hi, its me again.

I guess what I;m saying is if your not going to use a pop-up trailmanor then all manufacturer light trailers are in play. the travel trailer market is the largest rv product so it stands to reason trailamor would sell regular trailers and get some added sales.

their hard sided pop-up has no competitor. the trailer does-so i think you should look at them all. my personal favcorite if i was going to buy are hard sided light trailer is the Heartland EDGE. look at new model m17 gerry
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Hi, its me again.

I guess what I;m saying is if your not going to use a pop-up trailmanor then all manufacturer light trailers are in play. the travel trailer market is the largest rv product so it stands to reason trailamor would sell regular trailers and get some added sales.

their hard sided pop-up has no competitor. the trailer does-so i think you should look at them all. my personal favcorite if i was going to buy are hard sided light trailer is the Heartland EDGE. look at new model m17 gerry
You should look at the Keystone Bullet series also.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjbourge View Post
Hi Shandysplace,

I noticed in your early post that you had a 3326 TM and now a Elkmont 26 TM. We have a 2720 TM 2010 for the past two camping seasons and have been thinking of upgrading to the Elkmont. We thought of the 26 footer but last week we were at the dealer and saw a 24 that had a soffa bed instead of the permanent bed, which give you a lot more walking room in the trailer. But my main question is how do you like the Elkmont and is it really worth upgrading to. We pull our TM with a 2008 Honda Ridgeline and have had no wind problems or sway, but we are both in our late 60's and putting up and taking down of the TM is getting tougher. We had taken a crosscountry trip last year with the TM and made 29 campgrounds some for only one night, by the end of the trip we were getting better at the set up and take down, but still it took a toll. Do you get any sway when towing and is set up quicker?
When we were thinking about replacing our pop-up for some of your reasons, we are in our middle 60's, we looked at several small TT including the r-POD all gave up the room of the pop-up except the TM additionally we didn't want to deal with the high profile so went with the 2720SL which even DW at under 5' can set up by herself in a pinch.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You should look at the Keystone Bullet series also.
i looked at the bullets. they are nice but too heavy.when i researched

the honda ridgeline it has a max 5000 pound tow rating

because it has a unique all wheel drive system honda discourages the use of a wdh(notice i said discourages not flat out says no)

the low sided trail manor pop-up is a good match for this truck.

a light regular sided trailer especialy with wind resistance at higher speeds is not. but can be done if total loaded weight kept below
4500 pounds. i suspect a loaded elkmont would be too heavy . i suggest you look for true elkmont weights with options before you decide

gerry
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
cochise

Quote:

because it has a unique all wheel drive system honda discourages the use of a wdh(notice i said discourages not flat out says no)

a light regular sided trailer especialy with wind resistance at higher speeds is not. but can be done if total loaded weight kept below
4500 pounds. i suspect a loaded elkmont would be too heavy . i suggest you look for true elkmont weights with options before you decide

gerry
Gerry, why don't you just tell us which trailer manufacturer you work for?
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:

gerry
Actually, the reports that have been coming in here have shown that the fully loaded Elkmont is equal to or less than a fully loaded 2720SL fold-up model. This is because they are similar construction but the fold-up model has all of the hardware of the lifting mechanism and the trailer must be more heavily reinforced in certain areas.

One of our members has a PDF file with all of the actual reported weights from all of the members that have reported. He will be posting that this week. You may find some of the actual reports very interesting. Most of the reports are done from actual scale weights, fully loaded for camping and very detailed.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Gerry, why don't you just tell us which trailer manufacturer you work for?
are you kidding. I'm a pharmacist getting ready to retire. I have researched
rvs ad nauseaum. I have researched trucks like crazy.

I decided on a pop up trailmanor. Its only because i researched the ridgeline that i commented.

I would love to own one but tow rating is too low. I ended up with the closest equivalent nissan frontier with short box (6100 pound tow rating). 17 feet long which i also love about ridgline. if you reasearch me you'll find i've been on this forum for quite awhile before this came up

gerry
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Actually, the reports that have been coming in here have shown that the fully loaded Elkmont is equal to or less than a fully loaded 2720SL fold-up model. This is because they are similar construction but the fold-up model has all of the hardware of the lifting mechanism and the trailer must be more heavily reinforced in certain areas.

One of our members has a PDF file with all of the actual reported weights from all of the members that have reported. He will be posting that this week. You may find some of the actual reports very interesting. Most of the reports are done from actual scale weights, fully loaded for camping and very detailed.
the honda ridgeline is well suited for below 4500 total pounds for a low profile
pop up with low resistance and trailer sway. It is not suited for 4500 pound regular trailer with its associated wind resistance and greater trailer sway.

i wanted a ridgeine and if it had the 6100 pound capacity for the frontier i would have bought it. the ridgeline is 3.5 liter v6 the frontier is 4 liter v6

gerry
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
are you kidding. I'm a pharmacist getting ready to retire. I have researched
rvs ad nauseaum. I have researched trucks like crazy.

I decided on a pop up trailmanor. Its only because i researched the ridgeline that i commented.

I would love to own one but tow rating is too low. I ended up with the closest equivalent nissan frontier with short box (6100 pound tow rating). 17 feet long which i also love about ridgline. if you reasearch me you'll find i've been on this forum for quite awhile before this came up

gerry
Be careful with the Frontier. Although it has a high tow rating, it has a very low GCWR. The GCWR is what really tells you what you can tow and how much total weight the vehicle can handle. Tow ratings can be very deceptive when considered on their own. You must consider all of the vehicles ratings before you consider the tow rating. Too many people do it in reverse.

Put all the specs in this calculator and you may find that the Frontier falls short.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Be careful with the Frontier. Although it has a high tow rating, it has a very low GCWR.

Put all the specs in this calculator and you may find that the Frontier falls short.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
I'm going witha pop uptrailmanor pulling less than 4500 pounds. GCWR for frontier 4.0 is 11,100. is it possible you were looking at specs for 2.5 liter with is 7300? i checked again gcwr 11.100, 610 tongue weight , 6100 max trailer weight, truck weight 4200 pounds

gerry