TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Default Port Charlotte, FL - Looking for Campground Recommendations

Looking for CG recommendations in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area in early to mid April.

We headed down to FL to visit our two DD's the second week of April. We have the one CG selected for DD2 located in Jacksonville, but DD1 at Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte, we can not find anything that the we think the GK's would have fun at.

So we're looking for something that would be cool for the the GK's (2 and 10). A beach or great trails, etc... Within 20 miles of Punta Gorda FL. That time of the year, I don't think we need hookups, but would be okay with hookups. Water somewhere in the CG and hot showers are a must.

Thank you for your help.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
MisterP

A lot of the parks down here are 55+ senior parks. There really aren't a lot in the Punta Gorda area.

When we moved here, we stayed at two campgrounds on River Road, off I-75 exit 191. This is east of Venice and northwest of North Port. Further northeast than you specified, but also closer to the Venice and other Gulf beaches. 30 minutes or so to Port Charlotte, 45 to Punta Gorda. 25 minutes to Venice Beach, the shark tooth capital of the world.

The northern one is Venice campground, nice park but at the end of a very dusty dirt road.

The other is Ramblers Rest, about two miles south of the Venice camp. More developed, but now an Encore park, and thus more expensive. Neither has beach, but both have the Myakka River running behind them.

I would suggest using rvparkreviews.com to look at the area you are interested in. It's useful because it will show adjacent towns.

I suggest getting full hookups here. April in southwest FL can have hot days. You might appreciate A/C.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

MisterP,

I have been using different searches and review sites. No CG jumps out at me.

Have you ever been to Koreshan State Historic Site. In our searching that one that might be interesting??? Just not sure about for kids?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
MisterP,

I have been using different searches and review sites. No CG jumps out at me.

Have you ever been to Koreshan State Historic Site. In our searching that one that might be interesting??? Just not sure about for kids?
Don't have any knowledge of it, but the reviews sound interesting. But, that is a totally different area than your original post. Estero is a good 45 minutes or more south of Punta Gorda, between Ft. Myers and Naples. There is a nice mall and the FL Everblades hockey team plays in that area, but not much else nearby.

If you plan to stay down that way, check out San Carlos RV park just outside Ft. Myers Beach. Water everywhere, minutes from the beach and lots to do in Ft. Myers (which would be true as well in Estero for the most part).
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Yes, you are right. When I was looking at a map it did not look that far. But just I measure the distance and its about 40 miles.

MisterP, It sounds like i'm going to need to expand the distance up to 50 miles if I want to find a better campground. Have you ever been to Myakka River State park? If so what was your thoughts? RV parks i'm staying away, from mainly because I think the kids need some space.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Yes, you are right. When I was looking at a map it did not look that far. But just I measure the distance and its about 40 miles.

MisterP, It sounds like i'm going to need to expand the distance up to 50 miles if I want to find a better campground. Have you ever been to Myakka River State park? If so what was your thoughts? RV parks i'm staying away, from mainly because I think the kids need some space.
I have not been to Myakka River. I hear it's a nice park. I believe you can rent canoes for the river there. Closer to Sarasota at that point. Easy to get to the beaches. I think they have limited hookup sites. There is a reservation system for FL parks, I will post a link when I get a moment. I had to sell our TM before we had a chance to visit a lot of places, so I can only reflect what I hear about them (other than the Venice campgrounds and San Carlos).

From there, day trips to Tampa are realistic. MOSI (science museum), Busch Gardens, etc. are easy. About two hours to Disney if you feel the need to spend a lot of money. Siesta Key, rated one of the best beaches in the world, is about 30 minutes or so away.

Here is the park reservation site: http://www.floridastateparks.org/sta...servation.cfm/
Old 01-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Take a look at Periwinkle Park Campground on Sanibel Island
Old 01-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
moaboy

Periwinkle Park is great...at least it was when I was last there 45 years ago!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Periwinkle Park is great...at least it was when I was last there 45 years ago!
Lol...there's an endorsement!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It looks like Periwinkle Park is now mainly a moble home comunity that has some camp sites at one end.