TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default Lake Nacimiento, San Luis Obispo County, CA

Just got back tonight from a weekend at Lake Nacimiento, near Paso Robles, CA. We picked this destination because it was only a few hours away and our son is attending Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. I was at Cal Poly 30 years before our son and never had a reason to visit the lake while I was there. But, I knew it was there.

Our son was busy with engineering projects, but we did go out to dinner Saturday night. San Luis Obispo (SLO) is slightly over an hour away.

There are three roads into Lake nacimiento. The primary road from the north is an exit near Bradly on highway 101. From the south the primary exit is 24th Street, Paso Robles. There is another road from Jolon Road, around the west side of Lake San Antonio. All three roads were two lane but plenty wid. Towing any size trailer would not be a problem on these roads.

There is only one resort on the lake. The lake has very limited access by car, mainly the resort near the dam. The shoreline is very steep at the edge of the lake everywhere that I could see, except for the resort area. The campground was less than 25 percent full this weekend (April 29 - May 1, 2005).

This was the second trip in the 2005 TM 2720 and was somewhat of a shakedown trip. It also gave us the opportunity to see our son, ever so briefly. I recommend Mo's BBQ in San Luis Obispo for dinner.

There are several campgrounds at the resort. We elected to avoid the campground with the hook ups, as it was only two of us for two nights. I wanted to see how the battery and water would hold up for just the two of us.

The resort was clean, but not spotless. Pine Knoll campground had a lot of grass, which helped keep the dust down. The oth campgrounds were dirt. There were more gnats than I cared to be around. Several campers were using screen rooms. I am not used to that. Well patrolled by security. Warm, but not hot, showers available. According to the resort web site there is a WiFi hot spot, but I had no use for it this trip. There is a pool we did not use, but young children were swimming. The lake is rather cold this early in the year, but the die hard skiers were out in their wetsuits.

Without a boat, I don't think we will be going back any time soon. However, I do have plans to look into either kayaks or a canoe. That would have been fun. I hear that it is a popular fishing spot, but I gave up fishing years ago. According to the resort web site it is the only lake in California with white bass, which I have never heard of.

We did a day trip driving around the area. Just being nosey for the most part. There are numerous wineries in the area, but we did not stop. Paso Robles is about a half hour away by car.

Web site for the resort is at: http://www.nacimientoresort.com/

I took the digital camera, but did not take any pictures.

If you were travelling near Pasos Robles and wanted to take a break for a couple of days, especially during mid week, it might be worth considering. It is only a small detour off of the freeway. Reservations are probably required during the summer so call ahead.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We stayed at Naciamento many years ago, sort of remember the pool, the kids swam and enjoyed that. Don't remember it as being a "swimmer's lake", but mostly a "watercraft" lake. Being as we don't have a boat (except for a blow-up 2 person sort of getup) we weren't able to partake of the water activities much.

There are some interesting places nearby to visit. We've taken the kids to the Mission San Antonio de Padua, near Jolon, and have stayed a couple of times at the county campground in King City. http://www.missiontour.org/sanantonio/index.htm Boy, that wind does blow through there in the afternoon. Before we had a camper, we borrowed someone's dome tent and one of the flexible poles snapped in the wind.

We used to camp many times a year at Arroyo Seco, inland from Big Sur. Got turned off by rowdy campers and biting flies many years ago, but the hikes there are awesome, and so is the Arroyo Seco River. It's pretty rugged hiking as is the rock hopping along the river. It was much easier when I was in my 20's! You used to be able to drive from there all the way to the coast just south of Big Sur, but they've closed down the Arroyo Seco Road because of numerous slides from past storms and arguments about how to clear the debris. My favorite hikes were always in the spring when the wildflowers were in bloom and it wasn't too hot. Pinnacles is also a nice hiking area in the spring.

There are a lot of great places to visit in this general area.