TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
ZZfrog

Default Exterior Door Obstruction

Has anyone ever attempted to modify their exterior door so that it doesn't hit the awning when it's extended? I'm tired of having the awning almost vertical in order to clear the door. Maybe cutting the corner at a 45 degree angle and then remounting the corner to the frame, adding rubber gasket material, etc. I know that sounds radical but it's a nuisance as it is. Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZfrog View Post
Has anyone ever attempted to modify their exterior door so that it doesn't hit the awning when it's extended? I'm tired of having the awning almost vertical in order to clear the door. Maybe cutting the corner at a 45 degree angle and then remounting the corner to the frame, adding rubber gasket material, etc. I know that sounds radical but it's a nuisance as it is. Any ideas anyone?
Sounds like your awning isn't raised up high enough. When I set mine up, it usually barely touches the awning. Extend those poles out more -- if you're at the end of them and still having this problem, you might have too much awning rolled out.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Under stand what your saying. I have to rise mine way up there. We have a wheel on the comer of the door so the wheel rolls when the door would have touched the awning.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It is expected that the door will touch the awning, but the little wheel on the door is expected to roll across the fabric, and make sure the corner of the door doesn't actually scrape the fabric. This is common to most all RVs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
ZZfrog

I said 'vertical' but I meant horizontal. Yes, the roller wheel would help just a little. Still not happy with suggestions though. I prefer to have my awning at a nice angle to keep the sun off. If I ever decide to do something about this I'll send pics. A nice semi-rounded door top would help a lot. Maybe TM should sell a retrofit like that or something. In a holding pattern for now!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
marmotsgrl

I agree it is really annoying that you can't use the awing at a lower angle to keep the sun off. If we come up with anything this year we will be sure to post it.
marmotsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
moaboy

I find it really annoying. Wish there was a better design.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Are any number of possibilities. Easiest is just a slice out of the top and a hinge. Or a shorter door and a frame flap like on a 56 Oldsmobile.

Wouldn't be an OTS door any more though.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

We also found that using the awning was limited to having it fully upright, which doesn't always give you the shade you want. We do a lot of beach camping and windy conditions have also limited our awning use.

Our solution has been to use a shade shelter, which has proven to be the right solution for us. I purchased a Coleman 13' x 13' camp shelter on eBay for $125. It only takes three to five minutes to setup and take down, provides more than twice the shade and is more durable than our fragile awning. We can put it up and not worry that a gust of wind will damage or destroy it. If the wind did kick up enough to damage it, I'm only out $125, instead of the $850 to replace the awning. We have camped for two years now with it, in winds of 20 to 25 MPH, successfully.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I agree with the canopy. I got one when we got our first TM, as I didn't want to spend $1,000 for an awning. Much more convenient to move it around to where it is best-suited at any campsite.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote