TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Jim&Joan

Default Mackinaw City / Alpena ????

We are planning a trip to the area in August. I am going with a group to dive some of the wrecks in the area. We will spend 5 days in Mackinaw City and 3 days around Presque Isle (Alpena Area).

Any info on sites in the area? I searched and found some 4 year old posts on Mack City. Appears WIlderness is something to our liking. Here are ones we looked up, any recent updates????

Wilderness State Park, Mackinaw City

Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping

Tee Pee campground

Mackinaw City KOA Campground

Haven't found much in the Alpena area.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Kevin Krause

Since I live in Michigan I figured I would chime in. I have not camped in the areas you are looking at, but I have been to them. Of the people I know who camp, I have heard several speak positively about Wildnerness. True to its name, many of the sites at wilderness are for the rustic camper, so be prepared to go dry. You can also find out more about Michigan State Parks at this link http://www.midnrreservations.com/ParkCampgroundMap.aspx

I have been to Mill Creek State park, but not the campground, and I have enjoyed my visits there. I would check the above link to find out more about the campground.

I went to Alpena on a business trip last year. No one I know camps in this part of the state, and I did not notice any campgrounds around when I was there.

I wish I could be more helpful.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
kninshar57

Since I live about 50 miles south of Mackinaw City on the I75 corridor, Gaylord to be exact, thought I would offer my 2 cents. There is a place called Elkwood Campground just off I75 in Wolverine... it's about 30 miles south of the Mighty Mac. Check them out at www.elkwoodcamp.com Also, you can check out other State camping in the area by going here: http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...boyganarea.htm

Hope this helps and you have a great time while visiting Michigan!!

Safe and Happy Camping,
Bob
Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Kevin Krause

Great kayaking and canoeing around Wolverine, MI. Thanks for the campground tip.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Jim&Joan

Default Thanks...

Since I am going up to primarily dive, being close to the harbors/marinas is a priority.

We have Wilderness on our short list for Mackinaw.
There is a KOA in town that is our fallback.

In Alpena we are looking at several places...can't remember the order, but I think it is ...
Hoeft State Park
Long Lake
Camper's Cove/Canoe Livery
Sunken Lake
perhaps
Thunder Bay, S. Alpena
Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Beak12

Are you going to try to do Mackinaw Island? We went there twice. Charming place. No cars have to walk all over. But both time we rented a horse and buggy (you drive the rig) Was wonderfull.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Jim&Joan

I am sure we will now when DW reads this.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
IzzyCamper

Default wilderness/mill creek

We've stayed in both campgrounds -- Wilderness several years ago when we had a tent, and Mill Creek last summer with the Trailmanor.

Both are crowded during the summer. Campsites are very close together. In Wilderness, though, you are in a state park, so there are hiking trails and there is lots of wildlife to see. We had a campsite right along the beach, and there was a playground for the kids. I think it was a 15 min. drive to town. In Mill Creek, you're only a mile or so from Mackinaw City, and there are lots of campsites where you have a view of the bridge all lit up at night. Note, though, that Mill Creek campground is a privately owned camp across the street from the state park. Mill Creek State Park is pretty neat, with logging demonstrations, a zip line, a climbing wall, and nice trails -- no camping, though.

Where you stay really depends on how you're going to be spending your time. When we stayed at Wilderness, we were "camping" and spent a lot of time in the state park, so it was a good choice. When we stayed in Mill Creek, it was home base for seeing the city, forts, parks, and taking a day trip to the island; again, a good choice for what we had planned. If you choose Mill Creek, I'd check out the map of the campsites and try to get one along the beach and NOT in the designated RV section unless you want to be inches away from a bunch of huge trailers with no shade. Some parts of the campground are wooded and are along the water. Great views there at night.

The island is very touristy but worth a day trip -- especially if you rent or take bikes and spend the day exploring the island outside of the downtown area.

Have a great trip!
IzzyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
tate572

We looked at Hoeft State Park when we were camping at Cheboygan State Park last summer and I would recommend Hoeft. The sites near the beach are shady and have access to the water, very nice. Cheboygan State Park is OK. There is no swimming at the camper beach (swampy) and they only have 20A power. Harrisville State Park is also very nice and it has beach sites too. It is about 32 miles south of Alpena.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
tdepouw

We have stayed at Mill Creek a couple of times and it is a nice park but busy. They will not let you bring in your own wood, but will exchange a bundle if you have it with you. They have different power areas so if it is hot and need air make sure you get into the 30 amp area. For our size campers they have lots of wooded lots with reasonable space. Check out their map as posted earlier so you don't end up with the big rigs which are really packed tight. They had an area with 20 amp plugs but is really 15 amp service when you get back to the circuit breakers. If you end up in that area which is nice you have to run everything on propane to save your power for the AC. When the hot water heater turns on in the middle of the night is not the time to find this out. If you have time, the park across the street is a real treat. They have a combination ticket for all 3 and we enjoyed them all. The other 2 are in town.