TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Meteor

Default Bike rack on rear hitch?

I've been reading up on things on the forum here as much as I can, but I between work and sleeping, I can't seem to read it fast enough. So my apologies if this has been discussed to death already.

One of the features I'm looking for in a TM is the rear hitch, to carry bikes on a bike rack. But I've read some posts that say not to do that. Do folks use the rear hitch to carry bikes (which I thought was the reason TM's have a rear hitch) or is the general consensus that it's a bad idea? What's the scoop, and how to most folks carry their bikes with them?
Meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

We carry 2 bikes when we camp, have a double rack on the receiver hitch by swagman. It works great for us with NO sway noted during travel.
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
wilson

After seeing your post I searched and found this thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=Bike+carrier

I didn't read all the replies but I am concerned as to what will happen when we take our first trip as I do plan on carrying at least one bike.

Harvey & Elaine Wilson
'05 2720SL
'01 Tahoe LT
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think there are a lot of people that carry one or two bikes on the back of their TM. If my memory is correct, I think there was a thread about the weight limit of the factory installed hitch around 200 lbs.

If your concern about shifting the balance, just pack a little more of you heavy stuff ahead of the axle.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
MisterP

I believe the factory rates the rear receiver at 100 lbs. Perhaps newer units are rated higher, I wouldn't know.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We carry our bikes in the back of the TV. Don't have to remove them to set up, better security, and don't have to worry about hitch/carrier failure as some have experienced.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Parkhopper

Meteor - We use a 4 bike swagman, 2 adults and 2 children, on the TM factory installed rear receiver. Works great for us, only down fall is we have to reduce TV speed (stay less than 62 mph) or else TM starts to fishtail. Rather enjoy the bike riding than being in a hurry and unsafe on the highways.
2013 Nissan Titan SL Factory Tow Package
Parkhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
FujiPedaler

Just an update for all.

We had a Yakama 4 bike carrier "Fail" just last month while driving on I 90/94 in Wisc. Fortunately a fellow traveler told us our bikes were dragging so we stopped and discovered that their was only about 1/4 inch of metal left holding the whole thing to the trailer hitch which I was able to pull off after I removed the bikes and the carrier and put them all inside my 4Runner. It could have been a terrible accident because there were so many people on the road if it had let go with the two bikes and the largest part on the carrier careening down the highway.

It was 8 years ago when we had purchased the carrier long before we thought of Trailering.

It dragged the bikes and ground off 1/2 of the pedal and toe clip of my wife's bike and destroyed the front wheel and booth sets of tires and tubs.

Have since found out that the only bike carrier that is recommended for trailer is the Swagman and their warranty is just for one year.

Both Yakama and Thule do not recommend and will not warranty their carriers if used on a trailer or a motor home.

Not sure what we will do. We do have a Thule roof rack with 2 "Haul-a-vaders" for our two Kayaks that work really great, and a bike carrier mounted in between but I need a ladder to reach the bike. So for the time being we will put one bike inside the Trail Manor along with the ladder and the other on top of the TV (4Runner).
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
moaboy

Another (pricey) option to consider is folding bikes. An English company Brompton makes very rideable, quality folding bikes. They are not cheap, but pack up small and light and can be stored and transported in a number of places.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Laura FM

We got the bike receiver (which is connected to the frame, not the bumper). We already have a swagman bike rack - the type that has holders for the wheels. The problem is that without modification, the bike rack is too close to the trailer to use the innermost bike tray. We were going to get an extender, but we also were considering something that might swing out of the way when we were setting up. Before we could decide on a course of action, we were in a bike store where they had the bromptons, and made an expensive impulse buy, though we have never regretted it. It is usually just my husband and me. I realized that they would fit in the back seat foot well of our 4Runner, which is just perfect. What I like about them is there is so little effort to take them. Sometimes we get somewhere and the riding is just not that good, and we do not feel bad about dragging them along.

Tags
bike, bike carrier, bike rack