TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
tarudy

Default Storing the TM for the summer in Florida

Hello All,

The Florida summer's heat and high humidity have just socked in and will be here for 4.5 months. I would like to put my TM "to bed" until more reasonable weather returns. Especially since the air-conditioner feels like having a train in my brain. I keep it under a tall 30' long carport, so it's in the shade for what that's worth.
But what should I do to prepare it to withstand the constant 95 degree weather and near 100% humidity?
I emptied the fridge, wiped it down with bleach and propped the door open. I will empty and thoroughly rinse the Thetford Stinker. But, windows open or closed? Shells open or closed? Leave the fan on low all the time? Try to dehumidify? Anything electrical that I should disconnect? Disconnect the battery? Also, I may take off for Alaska and not come back until 10/1, so I won't be able to make any changes during that time.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Trudy
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Trudy,

I would disconnect the battery, for sure. Probably would close it up, maybe leave roof vents cracked open. Make sure your tires are shaded too, if not cover them also. I don't have high humidity here, so I'm no expert.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
MT Camper

Have you thought about calling the factory and explain the situation just like you did here and ask their advice? I know everyone says they are great to deal with and very helpful. I think that is what I would do if had the same situation.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have lived in Florida for a long time and since your carport is tall enough I'd leave the modules up to reduce stress on the torsion bars. Disconnect the battery(s) and add a $5 (on sale) HF float charger. Crack the end windows under the stone guards, roof vents, and the windows on the side facing a structure to keep some air flow.

Being under a carport will dramatically reduce the dew (see night sky radiation) so better to have some air flow in the coach. You seem to have a good handle on the insides though I might suggest moving mattresses and cushions inside and in big baggies.

Do you have cats ?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I'd just take the TM to Alaska with you

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Make sure the tires sit on a full-width wood or plastic board, not asphalt or concrete or dirt.

How about hurricanes / big storms? If you get one that is strong enough to blow the carport over or away, the TM will do a lot better if it is collapsed.

Do you have ants in your area? If so, you will want to do something to keep them out. I don't know much about it, but lots of discussions on this board.

Mice? Snakes? Other small critters? Same answer as above.

Wasps? Screens over the vents, such as the furnace vents, as well as inside the louvered vents in the left (street) side of the TM.

The suggestion to call Ed Lytle at the factory is a good one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would go the other way and have the camper raised, but closed to to keep the humility out.

I would put two tubs of DampRid in the camper and check on it and pour out the water every couple of weeks.

I would also install inside some type of shields to reduce the sun fading the curtains, across any windows that are exposed to the sun.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

GA here, so pretty humid too. We don't have a trailmanor yet, but do have a pop-up tent camper.

My opinion is the FL sun is the worst enemy with tree droppings number two. And you have both taken care of with the shelter. I wouldn't leave any openings for wasps and such to find. Cover any small orifices you can find outside too to prevent dirt daubers from clogging them up. Inside should be fine as long as no water leaks in.

May not hurt to leave a few of the reusable dehumidiying cannisters inside, but as long as it stays clean and dry, the inside should be fine.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote