TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Beak12

Default Used Elkmont

Anyone seeing used Elkmont for sale please post.

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I found a 2009 listed as used in Clermont Florida...which is a really long way from you. It is supposed to be new...as in never used but this dealership listed it as used because they have it as a consignment from another dealership that folded. The asking price is 29,800 which we felt is too high. We asked for their lowest price and they spoke to the owner of the TM (the previous dealership) who said they would take 8 to 10 percent off the asking price. We were really tempted to drive down but not at that price. They also do not seem to be very knowledgeable about the Elkmont and could not give us a list of options built into the camper. From the photos I see there is a flat screen TV and a tongue jack...I do not see any other options. I think this TM is the first model they came out with...queen bed and sofa with table in front of it..no bunks...no side dinette.

We are considering selling our 3124KS and buying one if the price is right. If we were serious about this one I would call Ed at Trail Manor and ask if the new warranty would apply. Since we spoke to the salesman on the phone this week we have just seem to be not as interested. LOL.

The salesman says since it was at another dealership that it was titled to that dealership and has to be sold as used. We think this is CRAZY and there is no way we would pay that for a used Elkmont. We also think the salesman is misinformed I did ask a good friend on here for his opinion ....and he agrees with me that it is new unless Florida title laws are different in this state...or unless there is something else they are not disclosing.

Here is the link to the camper: http://www.americachoicerv.com/product.html?sid=JC07217

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I found a 2009 listed as used in Clermont Florida...which is a really long way from you. It is supposed to be new...as in never used but this dealership listed it as used because they have it as a consignment from another dealership that folded. The asking price is 29,800 which we felt is too high. We asked for their lowest price and they spoke to the owner of the TM (the previous dealership) who said they would take 8 to 10 percent off the asking price. We were really tempted to drive down but not at that price. They also do not seem to be very knowledgeable about the Elkmont and could not give us a list of options built into the camper. From the photos I see there is a flat screen TV and a tongue jack...I do not see any other options. I think this TM is the first model they came out with...queen bed and sofa with table in front of it..no bunks...no side dinette.

We are considering selling our 3124KS and buying one if the price is right. If we were serious about this one I would call Ed at Trail Manor and ask if the new warranty would apply. Since we spoke to the salesman on the phone this week we have just seem to be not as interested. LOL.

The salesman says since it was at another dealership that it was titled to that dealership and has to be sold as used. We think this is CRAZY and there is no way we would pay that for a used Elkmont. We also think the salesman is misinformed I did ask a good friend on here for his opinion ....and he agrees with me that it is new unless Florida title laws are different in this state...or unless there is something else they are not disclosing.

Here is the link to the camper: http://www.americachoicerv.com/product.html?sid=JC07217
This dealer is feeding you a load of ka-ka..........if the trailer has never been registered, it MUST be sold as new.

My advise would be to be very suspicious of anything coming out of Florida and forget about one that lies to you.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ask the dealer for the VIN number. If he won't give it to you, turn away and run. But most likely he will. Then plug the VIN into any one of the online VIN Search sites. Most such sites are geared to automobiles, trucks, etc, but it is possible that you could find one that works with trailers. If you find one that correctly identifies the trailer, the site undoubtedly offers a report like a Car-FAX for a fee. I haven't seen such a report, but it would/should identify any previous insurance issues (was it in a flood, for example, as so many southern cars have been?), and perhaps previous registrations.

A few bucks well spent might help with the decision.

[Edit - one site says that trailer VINs are hard to look up, but once you have the VIN, you should "Call or visit a DMV office near you if you want to look up the ownership history, accident history or theft history of the trailer. Most DMV offices should be able to provide this service, but it is possible that you may be referred to a main office. Depending on the state in which you live, a small fee may be charged for this service."]

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ask the dealer for the VIN number. If he won't give it to you, turn away and run. But most likely he will. Then plug the VIN into any one of the online VIN Search sites. Most such sites are geared to automobiles, trucks, etc, but it is possible that you could find one that works with trailers. If you find one that correctly identifies the trailer, the site undoubtedly offers a report like a Car-FAX for a fee. I haven't seen such a report, but it would/should identify any previous insurance issues (was it in a flood, for example, as so many southern cars have been?), and perhaps previous registrations.

A few bucks well spent might help with the decision.

[Edit - one site says that trailer VINs are hard to look up, but once you have the VIN, you should "Call or visit a DMV office near you if you want to look up the ownership history, accident history or theft history of the trailer. Most DMV offices should be able to provide this service, but it is possible that you may be referred to a main office. Depending on the state in which you live, a small fee may be charged for this service."]

Bill
I would think that any such search on a trailer might give you a line of title. Other than that, I doubt that it would have any real value. If this thing were damaged in flood or anything else, I doubt very much that it would have been reported to DMV. It is required on passenger vehicles for obvious reasons. I doubt that it is required on trailers.

Checking for flood damage on a unit like this would never be reported to anyone and takes a trained eye to find the damage. It would merely be sent to a professional detail shop. It's easy to have the aesthetics from flood damage cleaned up and painted over. However, the long-term life and reliability of the unit and all of it's accessories may be severely effected.

My bet is, this dealer bought that trailer at auction and has no idea where it has been. Most vehicles end up at auction for a reason.

Very-very few dealers "Own" their own inventory. The standard business practice is to have a line of credit at a bank that finances the dealer's inventory. If the dealer fails, the bank repossess the inventory and deals with it. In some cases, it may even be sent to auction. There is a possibility that this may be the case with this trailer (although not likely). If that is the case, it would still be sold as a 1st Owner "New" Vehicle and registered as such with DMV. I would think that you would also receive a full factory warranty on the trailer. That's why I smell a rat here.

The other possibility is that the salesman that you talked to was flipping burgers at the local fast-food joint last week and has no clue of what he is saying. There is a possibility that the dealer may have it on consignment from a bank.

You may want to call TM with the VIN and ask them what dealer that unit was sent to and if that dealer is still in business. If he's not in business, the possibility of this being a bank consignment is higher but still not insured.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Checking for flood damage on a unit like this ... takes a trained eye to find the damage. It's easy to have the aesthetics from flood damage cleaned up and painted over.
Quite possibly true. On the other hand, I would suggest doing the same thing you are told to do if you are checking for flood damage in a car - that advice ought to work here, too. Based on the common practice in cars, it is quite plausible that the detailer would clean up the living spaces, the kitchen cabinets, and the exterior, but would pass by the places that a wide-eyed purchaser might not check. I'm thinking of a careful check inside the compartment behind the refrig, the compartment behind the water heater, inside the rear bumper compartment, inside the furnace compartment, the little compartment for the outside shower, the tube where the sewer hose is stored, and so on. In each case, you would be looking for silt or water marks where they would never be found on a new or nearly-new trailer. Look for dampness in the carpets and sound-proofing mats in hidden places, too, just as you are advised to do in a car.

Of course, no one is going to drive halfway across the country to do this ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I will call and try to obtain the vin number tomorrow. I will let you all know what I find out.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Well...I forgot to check it yesterday. Today just before calling them I decided to check www.oodle.com and bingo! The vin is 5NZBF241691007217
I will try to call Ed in a few Minutes but the plant may be closed for Christmas. I also found a wide range of prices from the 2010 at this site and a new 2010 with tv and tongue jack for 22,150.000. LOL!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Well the Trail Manor Corp. is open and I left Ed a message.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Ed and I spoke this afternoon and he only "speculated" that the previous dealership may have rented or lent the Elkmont out or perhaps there is another unknown reason why it can not be sold as knew. He did not have any record of sale on the Elkmont with that vin. Ed explained if the dealership or buyer does not return the warranty card to the factory he has no way of knowing if the unit has been sold.

I very briefly played on the internet about researching vin numbers and did not want to spend any money to do so for this unit.

The one in Arizona is a great price but way too far for me.