TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
JERR_C

Default Problems With Hot Water Heater

I Have A 1997 Tm And Have Been Told That My Hot Water Heater Is Electric As Well As Propane, I Can Not Find A Switch For Electric, It Not One In Box Where You Light The Propane Gas For The Heater, Can Some One Tell Me How I Can Hook Up The Hot Water Heater To Electric

Jerry Hayden
Hillsborough, N.c.
1999 Dodge Durango
Old 09-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What is the model number of your water heater? In 1997, they might not have had an electric element.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERR_C View Post
I Have A 1997 Tm And Have Been Told That My Hot Water Heater Is Electric As Well As Propane, I Can Not Find A Switch For Electric, It Not One In Box Where You Light The Propane Gas For The Heater, Can Some One Tell Me How I Can Hook Up The Hot Water Heater To Electric
Jerry,
Our 1998 2619 had the dual heating capability. The switch for electric is located inside the cover where you light the propane pilot. Look for a small rocker switch "hidden" behind part of the piping and regulators, possibly down on the lower left side.

The electric only works when you're plugged into 120VAC, and it does so automatically if the switch is left on. VERY IMPORTANT: do not have the electric switch in the ON position if there is no water in the water heater. It will burn out the heating element almost immediately.

On my present trailer, which had a similar set-up, I removed the electric switch from the heater compartment, and ran it inside the trailer so I can turn it on or off from a convenient location.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This issue is covered, with a photo, in the water heater tutorial in the TM Reference Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else). It also tells you how to decode the model number.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote