TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #11
arknoah

Default Re:Hauling Firewood

Thanks for the tip on high school, woodworking shops -- I'll check to see if ours has one too!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #12
bonzaibeaver

We have often been able to scavenge wood from vacated campsites. Often we have found that campers will leave their leftover wood in a campsite when they pull out. I guess they don't want the weight and dirt, etc. When our boys were young, they would seek out the firewood while we set up our pop-up camper.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #13
Happytrails

Arsenic? Durn, lol, I always wondered why it wasn't allowed......Never knew that! My dad though a CPA, as a side project, owned a woodlot.....now is that a strange thought, a CPA out on his woodlot splitting firewood.....lol Anyway, he managed to get a really good deal on kindling that he used to sell which worked really good. It was basically the unused stuff they use on basketball courts, etc, those little tiny 1"x5" slats unfinished of course, he'd get by a truckload, and bag them up years ago. (It was untreated btw). There were all kinds of scraps, etc, different sizes, different cuts, but it all burned really well, and was dirt cheap, I'll have to ask him tomorrow where he used to get it. (A cabinet making company that did flooring comes to mind first). I guess you could say one man's scraps makes for another man's campfire? lol

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 08-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #14
arknoah

Bonzaibeaver,

We also scavenge wood from other campsites once people have left, but I was too embarrassed to mention it. We had a really obnoxious family camping next to us for a night in South Dakota, and we were only too happy to take three nice logs that they left behind. We saw it as just compensation.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #15
MawCraig

And aren't we glad that so few campers are the obnoxious type! We have been very fortunate in meeting many more super nice people than jerks!!
Old 08-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #16
kempert
Site Sponsor

If there are new houses being built in your area, check to see if they are installing wood floors. Oak flooring scraps are great for camp fires About 1/2" thick w/ different widths). I asked if I could have them and was told that they wouldn't give permission (fear of lawsuits) but if I came back when no one was working there would be no problem.

BTW, arsenic in treated wood is supposed to stop soon but you can bet that the replacement chemicals will not be good to burn either.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #17
dlajoie
Site Sponsor

We have brought firewood in 5 gallon plastic pails in the back of our Safari back when we camped in a pop up and our son was young. Now, that he is in college and we have our new 2720SL, we prefer to cozy up with the furnace. I used to take all the seats out of my old Safari, line it with a large tarp and haul quite a bit of firewood from our wood lot to our house.
dlajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #18
jbeletti
Jim

I usually take 2 totes of wood camping for a typical weekend. The totes I use are semi-clear with blue lids form Sam's Club for $9.99 a pair. I place the rugs we use in the TM on the floor between the sink cabinet and the oven cabinet in front of the stowed wardrobe cabinet. Then I lay a blanket on the floor, stack the 2 totes of wood, strap the totes together with a tie-down strap, pull the blanket sides up over the tote stack. Then I wedge pillows on 3 sides of the totes.

This method allows me to carry the weight of the wood over the trailer axle and where I have it stowed, it never moves.

I use fat wood for kindling and a small propane torch with an auto-igniter with a copper pipe soldering flame tip. Works great.

Jim
Visit our travel site
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote