TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question Camco Tornado?

Has anyone ever installed the Camco Tornado rotary rinsing devise in their holding tank. It's used to rinse out your tank with a garden hose after emptying the gray water. I have had problems with the sensors giving false signals that my tank is still full even after I emptied it. I have used the solutions that you can pour into your tank, but I am not sure if they worked so well. So I am moving towards the Tornado to help clean off the contacts on the sensors once the tank has been emptied. Anyone out there who has one of these?
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

The main issue with the sensors is the oils left from the wast water.

What we have found throughout the years with different campers. Is once a year when we go camping that is about 2-3 hour from the house, we pour about a cup of dawn dish soap down the drain and about 7-8 gallons of water. When you arrive at the camp ground, after 2 -3 hours of driving, dump the gray water.

After sloshing around for 2-3 hours the sensors are free of oil.

But don't expect to much from these sensors. I have never found a camper that is very accurate.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Dawn....go away you're too good for me.....

Sloshing around eh? Well I give er a try and see what happens. I am still going to install the rotary rinsing device...couldn't hurt...
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Be sure to check your access up high on the side of the gray tank, where you need to install it, and then connect the hose for operation.

Not a very good review on You Tube

Tentcamper's approach seems so simple and foolproof ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The sensors work by measuring the capacitance or conductivity between probes. Just about any kind of film or moisture between probes will give a bogus reading. Most fresh water sources have enough stuff in them to cause false readings even though the water is safe for drinking. What we had to use in the power plant was the difference in pressure of the liquid between measuring points. This also had to be corrected for pressure and temperature of the vessel. All in all a real pain. Sight glasses worked the best but even there they would get crud build up.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question Huh?

Well that's all very interesting....but...you said nothing about using the Tornado or what YOU use to clean off the sensors in YOUR tank. I understand that those sensors are not calibrated to the smallest degree or are they suited for scientific observation. HEY...this aint chemistry class here....I just wanted to know what people out here use to clean there contacts. I mean, after you empty your holding tank, all the indicator lights on the test panel should NOT be on....RIGHT?
Old 03-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up another video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Be sure to check your access up high on the side of the gray tank, where you need to install it, and then connect the hose for operation.

Not a very good review on You Tube

Tentcamper's approach seems so simple and foolproof ...

Bill
Bill, thanks for the video link. I watched it and I see what you were talking about. However, right after I saw the one you sent me, there was another video on youtube from a guy that has a program called "The Fit RV".
This particular segment was called "The Black Tank Showdown". It's where he has a clear tank and he tests several different rinsing devices.

The link is:

Watch this and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think I made the right choice.
So if the Tornado is dependent on water pressure I don't think I'll have any problems because I was only planning to use this at my home after getting back from a trip. My house has plenty of water pressure and if that's not enough, I have a water pump that can supply all the pressure needed. I guess I could use the Tornado on the road though if I needed to. At any rate it was cool to see this thing in action. I think I'll purchase a clear 45° extension for my sewer hose where it hooks into the valve. Take a look.
TC
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Bill, thanks for the video link. I watched it and I see what you were talking about. However, right after I saw the one you sent me, there was another video on youtube from a guy that has a program called "The Fit RV".
This particular segment was called "The Black Tank Showdown". It's where he has a clear tank and he tests several different rinsing devices.

The link is:

Watch this and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think I made the right choice.
So if the Tornado is dependent on water pressure I don't think I'll have any problems because I was only planning to use this at my home after getting back from a trip. My house has plenty of water pressure and if that's not enough, I have a water pump that can supply all the pressure needed. I guess I could use the Tornado on the road though if I needed to. At any rate it was cool to see this thing in action. I think I'll purchase a clear 45° extension for my sewer hose where it hooks into the valve. Take a look.
TC
That was a good informative video of the black tank showdown!! Thanks

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well that's all very interesting....but...you said nothing about using the Tornado or what YOU use to clean off the sensors in YOUR tank. I understand that those sensors are not calibrated to the smallest degree or are they suited for scientific observation. HEY...this aint chemistry class here....I just wanted to know what people out here use to clean there contacts. I mean, after you empty your holding tank, all the indicator lights on the test panel should NOT be on....RIGHT?
Thomas --

As I mentioned before in a different thread, this group is like a campfire ring. And in campfire rings, everyone is cordial, having fun, and all in all try to help each other out. No one is paid to be here -- quite the contrary -- and people continue to come to this forum to help others because we enjoy it, we've been helped ourselves, and there's a sense of camaraderie here. This probably is not like most other forums online, where there is often a lack of common courtesy and respect.

Scrubjaysnest was simply trying to convey his experience doing exactly what you are trying to do, except in an industrial setting where the stakes are higher, but also where the money pot is bigger, and still, they had problems. And in this explanation, I think he was just trying to convey that this is a problem that is not easily solved, perhaps to give you an indication that maybe a comparatively inexpensive device that involves drilling a hole in a water tank will not solve. Jumping on his case is just not helpful - what exactly were you trying to accomplish in doing that? In case it's not obvious, he has zero obligation to help you, and in this past, this is exactly what happens here when people they help or respond to exhibit this sort of "appreciation." It may help to read your posts before you click the "Submit" button to make sure its reads in the way you intended. It's easy to write something with a tone that is completely inconsistent with what you wanted to convey.

If you want a fool-proof way of measuring what's in your grey tank that don't involve cleaning your sensors, the easiest way is simply to measure what goes in it to begin with. When you dry camp, that's easy. My fresh water tank is 20 gallons, and so I know when it's empty, there's roughly 20 gallons in the grey tank, sans what I used to fill water bottles and perhaps a dish washing tote that I dumped outside. If you have hookups, you can put a water meter on your hose -- I saw one awhile ago that has a garden hose hookup, which is what you need, and it ran about $100 if I recall. Pretty handy -- I was thinking of getting one so that I don't overflow the Electra Magic when I'm backflushing with the TM closed, but never got one.

For what it's worth. Good luck.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

So far, I have not had problems with my levels on my meter. I don't expect them to be precise, and I don't pay too much attention to them. I just take my buckets, and every couple of days, I empty my gray tank. I also know how much fresh I have used, so I have a rough idea how much may be in my gray tank. If the DW showers, I know I have to empty after she is done, before I begin mine.

But, I will likely do what tentcamper suggested, as a preventive measure. Makes sense. Since the sensors measure resistivity, cleaning the inside of the tanks seems like it would keep the conductive slime from accumulating.

As far as black tank, with my cassette I have none. So glad for that! Simple to clean completely after each trip. No lingering odor.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote