TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
modhatter

Default Got big problems. Can't fill water tank

Well, I know I am stupid for waiting so long to test out water in newly purchased 07 TM Model 2619, and we are scheduled for trip on Tuesday. Today I went out to fill up unit for first time, and I have problems.

I attached hose to outside, opened up the hot water spigots in kitchen and bathroom until they stopped sputtering, and then turned them off when they stopped sputtering. I waited, and waited, and waited. Then I checked the indicator on the front of the sink. Still shows holding tank and freshwater tank empty. Went outside and looked under unit to see where tank is. Can't see any tank except for what I assume is black water tank. Take the hose off. Try again.

Let it go for sometime (ten minutes) Take it off, look at gauge. Still empty. Turn faucet on. Comes out for about 30 seconds and no more. Go outside. See water coming out from under unit in a couple of places. One place is under where the shower unit is on outside and the other place appears to be toward the front middle.

Our local RV repair place here is booked up until Dec 17th, and the nearest Trailmanor repair place is about 6 hours north of here. If I can't do anything here, I am going to have to cancel my reservations for going to Saint Augustine Tues.

Obviously there are leaks, but just out of curiosity, how long does it take to fill up your TM if you have a 20 gal freshwater tank and your 6 gal hot water is empty. Anything you think I am not doing right?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
mtnguy

Are you using the city water connection ?? If so, that will not fill your water tank. There is a separate non-threaded place to fill the water tank. I think the fresh water tank for a 2619 is under the left side dinette cushions. You will see a large hose there going to the outside of your TM, and that is where you fill the tank.

If this is the 1st time you have used the water tank in 3 years, then it might be good to sterilize the tank before filling.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Critter

My 2010 2720SL freshwater tank(white tank located under the sink) is filled from the Opening marked "potable water only" which is located right above the "city water connection" on the outside --> which sounds like what you are using.

Right after i got it home, I also had a leak when "City water pressure" was connected --> coming out in the area under the bathroom. Since my dealer is three hours away it was easier and cheaper to fix it myself. I opened the outside shower panel and found that the connections just needed tightening. If you open it you will have to re-calk after you are done.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

First thing to do is with camper open is check all your water connections as they will work loose over time. When we went to the dealer to pick our new 2011 2720 SL up last month they already had it hooked up to city water so at that time it had no leaks but after towing it home from Texas, about 1100 miles I'll recheck it before leaving on our next trip. Been to the leaking fittings movie on every new or used camper we have ever had sooner or later. As in the above posts the fresh water tank fill is right above the city water connection. It has an over flow but it maybe better to have someone inside watch the tank not the indicator panel.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
boater454

You might want to check your fresh water drain valves to be sure they're all closed. This may be where the water is coming from onto the ground. As others have said you need to fill the tank from a different "hole" than the city water hook up. There may be nothing at all wrong.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
boater454

Also check the water heater drain valve. It's under the left dinette seat on mine. You can only reach it from the inside.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
rumbleweed

If you hooked up an hose and got water out of the faucets, You were connected to the public water connection. There is a large white cap right next to the threaded connection you used. Open that one and put the water in there. You may need an adapter as the end of a hose will not fit in the opening well. This will put water in the tank. Also make sure the drain valve is closed under the TM or the water will run right back out.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a diagram of the water system here.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=435
It will help you visualize how the two kinds of water hookups work. Note the "bucket fill" vs "garden hose" connections. The drain valves, mentioned above by Boater454, are also shown.

In Post #4 here, there is an easy-to-build helper device for filling the fresh water tank from a hose.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3794
As Rumbleweed pointed out, the hose doesn't fit the "bucket-fill" fitting very well - it was intended more for a funnel.

Finally, early TM's had a drain valve on the water heater, as Boater454 mentioned, but I don't think newer ones do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
modhatter

Bill, that first link you posted doesn't work. You are all right. I thought you could fill it from either hole. I went out again and did it right this time and the tank is holding water. However, I do have leaks when the City water connection is connected. I will do what you said Critter tomorrow and take off outside shower wall plate if I can get it off OK and check those connections. Will update this again tomorrow after I get out there again. Thank you all. Even if I can't fix the leak myself tomorrow, I can still take camper out on my scheduled trip Tues., and just won't use water hook up there. I have one more question that I ran into today while out there, but I'll post a new post cause it's a different matter.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
gmferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Even if I can't fix the leak myself tomorrow, I can still take camper out on my scheduled trip Tues., and just won't use water hook up there.
The leaks you are seeing while hooked up to the city water connection will also appear when you turn on the water pump. The plumbing lines are shared by the city water connection and the water tank/pump. When using the onboard water tank, the lines are not pressurized until you switch on the water pump.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote