TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
wmtire

Default National Parks set to allow guns

It appears that the National Park Service have overturned their gun ban, and will now allow them if you have a valid concealed gun permit.....and the park is located in a state that honors concealed gun permits.

Here is the news link:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172340
Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Dixielou

Thanks, Bobby, for posting about the new rule lifting the ban on firearms in National Parks. I have always taken a loaded revolver with me in my truck or TrailManor when out on the road and in parks. Were I to travel with children I would surely think seriously about the wisdom of this practice. Being senior citizens, and possibly appearing vulnerable, I think a firearm is prudent.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
mtnguy

And here is the Department of Interior news statement: http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

This is especially good news to me. I frequently drive over the Blue Ridge (Rt. 33, a state road) for shopping or to visit my kids, and sometimes would love to get off on the Skyline Drive on the way back, either to take a short hike, meditate at an overlook, or take some pictures. I haven't been able to do that in the past when my co-pilot is riding with me.

Chap
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
jniles

BE careful, until Jan 9 or 10th. Here is what the NRA reports:

Important Information On Right-to-Carry in Our National Parks

Friday, December 12, 2008

As we announced last week, the Department of Interior has released their new regulation that will recognize Right-to-Carry in national parks in those states that allow Right-to-Carry. It is important to note, however, that the new regulations do not take effect until 30 days after their publication in the Federal Register.

The new rules, which were announced on December 5, were published in the Register on December 10. That makes January 9 the first day it will be legal to carry a loaded firearm in National Parks or refuges. Until then, the old regulations that ban possession of loaded firearms are still in effect.

Later,

John
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
mtnguy

And just when you thought it was OK.....

Thanks for the heads-up.

Chap