TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Removed the awning and front a lot easier to lift.

The awning had a big dent right in the middle from the previous owner making a turn to sharp hitting something bending it. I finally got a chance to work on it and it was so bent that after checking for replacement parts, I decided to remove it. Supports was bent also and canvas was torn.

I just went out and set up the TM without the awning and what a difference. The front was a lot lighter and easier to set up. If anyone has issues with lifting the front end, this makes it a lot lighter and easier. That awning must weigh over 60 lbs or more (not sure). I dragged it in the garage.

Kind of hated to loose the awning, but after the fact, I am glad I did. Several screw holes to cover and I might just put a strip of eternabond over it (not the prettiest). I hate leaks and will do about anything to prevent them. The biggest problem with removing the awning is getting rid of all that caulking. I went to Home Depot and bought some caulking remover and had to let it set several times. I also saw what looked like masking tape underneath the awning and this was as bad as the calking to remove. Neighbor suggested using olive oil on the masking tape. I did not have olive oil, but used Canola oil. Two hours of soaking and it pulled right off. Wife probably still looking for her spray can of Canola oil.

Now I have two screens to replace inside and I am done. Back on the forum searching for screen replacement.

After the post, I got worried if I could close the TM. I just tried and had no problems. I was worried if it changed the torsion setting, but everything is ok. John