TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I never seen doc and pre fees on a used private sale. Our dealers in Ohio charge around 150 for doc charges, plus sales tax if in state. Yes you would have shipping, if that how you do it. But I have to see what I buy used. So why not make a road trip of it? See it and buy it, and camp on the way back home?? Just need to make sure there is a notary if needed.

You can not get away from the sales tax for your state??

Our added coast were 1,200 miles of travel around $120, two nights motel/camping $100, food $150, transfer title and plates around $60 and 7.25% sales tax.

I had the seller put on new tires before I came out to see it, because they were very old. He agreed that anyone that would buy it, would have issues with the tires. So he agreed to have new tire on the camper for my trip, if I bought it.

When I called my DMV. I found out for my state, I did not need temp plates or plates to transport from out of state a new bought trailer to my house. So we traveled without plates.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I also made sure I had a good bill of sale that included the seller agreeing that there were no loans or claims. It also had that the seller would promptly assist if any additional paper work was needed and was responsible for any claims on the trailer that might arise.

All went very smoothly. The seller showed us the camper and assisted in the inspection. They showed us several times how to set it up and down and gave us their check list.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
agilitynut

Tentcamper, the 2008 I made the offer on today is at a dealership, hence the doc ($399) and prep ($695) fees. Between my work schedule and upcoming weekend commitments (agility competitions with my dogs) I wouldn't have the two days to go look at it until sometime in August, and something tells me it will sell this weekend (just listed yesterday.) The dealer is nearly 600 miles from me, which is for sure a 2-day round trip.

I would be buying it sight unseen, other than the photos they have posted, which are about the cleanest I've seen in the two months I've been looking online. Tires are new, they will replace battery if it's close to three years, I will insist that they repack the bearings if they've not been done in the past year, and they said they will provide me a copy of the inspection checklist stating that everything was inspected and is in working condition at the time of sale. Salesman assured me that anything found to be broken or not working will be repaired before it leaves their lot.

It's a gamble, and one I was willing to take for a certain price. But the current total puts me about $1K over my target, $11K for the trailer OTD, $1200 for delivery to my residence, and $700 sales tax due to my home state of Missouri. So, I'm weighing out a decision. It really does look like an exceptionally clean unit, which is why it's so tempting.

This is such a great forum. Really appreciate getting so much feedback!
agilitynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #24
Padgett
TrailManor Master

When I left a large deposit on mine since it was not near a power or water source my contract stated I expected it to be connected when I returned the next week (about 60 miles away and was working then) and that the agreed upon price was contingent of all equipment being operational and if anything was not working then the price was subject to adjustment.

I would suggest something similar. I'd hate to see it delivered with an inop AC and no recourse. Get it up front and in writing (e-mail or fax).

Then when it arrives be ready to test everything and not accept delivery until satisfied.

Is the dealer a Camping World or something large that has a facility near you ?
Old 07-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
agilitynut

Padgett, it is at a locally owned RV Dealership in Georgia, so unfortunately nothing in my area tied to it. I have friends in GA, but not in this particular area of the state, otherwise I'd be calling in a favor and asking them to make a trip to this dealer.

I was able to negotiate by phone to $10,800 OTD just before they closed today. I put down a 'refundable' (confirmed this with him a couple times) deposit contingent upon him addressing questions we discussed today (exact age of battery and replacement if it's over 2 yrs old, that bearings would be repacked, a list of everything included, etc) and a satisfactory report after a thorough pre-sales check of the trailer by their technicians, of which I will receive a written copy stating each item inspected and that everything is in working order. If I choose delivery he says they will provide me with a written statement that if anything is wrong upon receipt that the dealer will cover it.

I hope everything will check out fine and I feel like it will be a good deal (said with fingers crossed.) In the two months I've been looking I've not seen 2008s selling for much less than this, but I've certainly seen them selling for more. This is the trailer I have the deposit on http://www.rvworldofgeorgia.com/defa...OwnedInventory I feel much more comfortable spending $10K+ on my first travel trailer than the $16K on the one that I referenced at the start of this thread. It stinks not being able to look at it in person, but the salesman keeps telling me it looks almost brand new. I hope this will be a risk that pays off. Deal isn't done yet, but at least I got the ball rolling.

Thanks again to all who have weighed in.
agilitynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sounds like a great start and for an '08 that is a good price. Does have a power tongue jack which is nice and has the swivel chair which mine did not.

Let us know when it arrives.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #27
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Check out online shipping bids

Agilitynut.....

If you search the forum you will find the name of an online shipping bid site. I can't recall the name. Something like uship.com or something. You enter your information of what you want shipped (or towed) and they bid on price to do the job. Can be a better deal than the dealer shipping. This is what I did because I too was unable to drive to Colorado to pick it up. It was kind of a leap of faith but it worked out for me.

Make sure it is fully insured before it leaves the dealer.

Sounds to me like you are getting a really good deal. Just looked at the pictures and it looks really nice! Great deal! Even has the extra over stove cabinet and removable drawer cabinet. Nice.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #28
MT Camper

I bought my TM from The Car Show in Col Springs Colorado. I bought it while visiting my sister in Oregon. I too was nervous about buying without seeing it my self, but it was a good transaction and the trailer was in great shape and everything worked and I was very happy. I went back home to MT and left the next day to Col Springs to pickup the trailer and spent a night in the trailer on the way home to MT. I believe a lot depends on the dealer you are dealing with and if they are upfront about the trailer then you are in good shape. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #29
moaboy

I'll be selling a 2009.5 within the next 30 days that is in extremely good condition with many factory and owner upgrades including Purple Line Enduro caravan movers. Hard to figure out a "fair" price for both buyer and seller. Mine has always been garaged and basically looks new inside and out, but geography also matters. Just depends on supply and demand in your area or reasonable "drive" time area.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, or change your mind. My thoughts on the value of the options are these.
  • Rear rcvr hitch. Do you need it? Will you plan to carry bicycles? If so, this is a nice option, and you will pay maybe a couple hundred dollars for it later. If not, I don't see this as much of a draw.
  • Electric tongue jack. This is a nice-to-have, especially if you are not physically strong. On the other hand, if you don't mind cranking a manual jack, it is - well - nice.
  • Swing away hitch. Do you need this? If you plan to park your TM in a garage, how long is the garage, compared to the length of a TM? The swing away hitch reduces the trailer length by 2 feet and many of us, including me, could not fit a TM into the garage without it. Original cost of this option was high - almost $500 as I recall - and it is very difficult to retrofit later if you find you need it.
  • The A/C is a good and valuable option, most people want it. It will have a substantial effect on your resale value down the road when you sell the trailer. Incidentally, they are all "low profile".
  • 40 gallon water tank. Again, do you need it? Standard is 20 gallons, and most of us live quite nicely with that. It becomes important only if you plan to do lots of dry camping (no hookups).
  • Alloy wheels are again a nice-to-have. Many people value them, and your trailer will look nicer, but it won't operate any better.
  • The Winegard antenna is a good thing because most folks want a TV antenna, and it is a difficult retrofit.
  • The others are minor, in my opinion, with little effect on your final decision.
Others may disagree about specific items, of course.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilitynut View Post
2011 is the newest model I'm considering due to my budget.
The options on the 2011 I described include
- Rear receiver hitch
- electric tongue jack
- swing away hitch
- low profile AC
- 40 gallon fresh water tank
- microwave drawer
- Sony CD/Radio sound system
- alloy wheels
- Winegard antenna with power boost

Owner was also going to throw in
- new Travasak bedding with extra sheets and cases