TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2003, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Just Picked Up My 1st TM and Have Toilet Question

Greetings! Yesterday I picked up my 1996 2518 TM and want to thank all you TM vets that have posted so much great info on this site that has helped me decide that TM is the only RV for me and my family.  

I stumbled on to my TM at a local dealership and then found this site to learn all I could before buying.  The dealer had not ever seen a TM either (recent trade-in)so they had to "figure" everything out before my inspection.

From what I have read TMs do not have blackwater tanks but the dealer told me that mine did.  Could this be correct?  It has the Thetford re-cir toilet with the release handle at the base and you can hear the water emptying into a tank below.  Does it all just go to the grey tank?  

Is charging the system as easy as adding water until the dial reads "charge" or is there something else to it?

I can't wait to get to the woods in my new TM.  I understand how everything else works but the toilet is a bit puzzling so I want to have a good understanding of how it works before getting to camp.  Thanks for any tips you may have.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:53 PM   #2

Default Re: Just Picked Up My 1st TM and Have Toilet Quest

Hey Battles,
I don't know how your 96 is set up, but I would look under the TM to see if someone did "add a tank" for your blackwater. I would venture to say they did not. When you pull the drain handle at the base of the toilet, with the t-handle on the drain valve closed, you will fill up the line to the drain. I have never seen it, but I guess if you had the t-handle for the grey tank opened,and the T-handle for the toilet drain closed,maybe the pressure from the toilet could divert a little into the greywater tank. Either way you could have a mess on your hands when you open the cap.     Palmetto
Old 04-06-2003, 05:37 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

To answer your second question, yes, charging is just that easy.  First, pour in a bottle of your favorite toilet chem.  Then use the shower head to add water.  The instructions say to add water until the dial reads "Charge", but many people don't put in that much.  I just add water until the pump will prime, and call it good.  This increases the usable capacity of the toilet a bit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Battles,

To answer your question about what chemicals to use, check out the discussion under TIPS & TRICKS. It's the one about RE_RECIRCULATING TOILETS. It's under the date of Nov 23rd. I had a reply in there about what chemicals work well, and other owners voiced their opinions regarding the toilet. Happy camping!!

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:46 PM   #5
Happytrails

Battles, your terlit is a "recirculating" one which is designed to save on water. It does not work like a regular terlit. In the terlit itself, it has a tank of about 6 gallons or so, when you pull that handle, it drains about a gallon or so into the drain line that runs from the last valve ya pull to dump the whole thing. That is what you're probably hearing when you pull that handle. You don't need to pull the handle to flush it, you only pull the handle when it's full, and you're ready to dump. (Or to gain back that extra gallon or so when it's become full already). Basically, the recirculating terlit doesn't have a "holding tank" per se, it's got a small one where it runs stuff through a screen to filter out the solids. Anyway, hope all this makes sense to ya...........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails......[/glow]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:00 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I just conducted an unsuccessful search, but I am kicking around the idea of adding a black water holding tank to increase the toilet useage/capacity. I see that there is a company that has several "stock" tanks as well as a custom mold option available. Has anyone actually done this? If so, how much work was involved? Will a stock tank work or is custom the only alternative? I was looking at:

http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm

What are your thoughts?

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:17 AM   #7
Windbreaker

My only question is where are you going to put it. It must be in a place so that it can be cleaned every now and then. If you place it curb side don't think you will be able to clean it. If you move it forward you run into the axle. Can't move it back because you run into the graywater.

If you get this done, let us all know, I'm sure there are more than just a few of us who would like to have more room there.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #8
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Well, you can always use a portable storage tank like a Blue tote which comes in a variety of sizes.

If you wanted to put a big one in the back of a pick-up you can pump it from the sewer line into a tank even up hill.  ITT just came out with the Flojet Portable RV Waste Pump.  It is so new it isn't even on their website yet.    It connects directly to the 3 inch waste.  It has a 6 foot cord with switch.  It has a garden hose adapter with valve for washing the system out.  It is a macerator pump so particles are cut up small enough to pump through the outlet garden hose to anywhere you want it to go.  It connects to a 12 volt source.  You could make some connection on the Trailmanor or use a portable PowerPack like they make for emergency starter power supply.  Also comes in a plastic case.  It is a little pricey ($250 retail), but I think it would be easier and cheaper than having a new black water tank put in.  

I do a lot of dry camping with a water source and restrooms, but no hook-ups.  I just bought this pump from a Marine dealer in Newport Beach, CA.  (800) 747-3014, Part Number 18555-000A for about $275 with tax and shipping.

Call Flojet for more info plus a picture (800) 235-6538, x311 Eric.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
efelker

Bob poses an interesting consideration.  But unless I'm out in the fringes of known civilization, communing with Grizzly Adams for days on end -- don't think I'd want to be loading my truck up with all that **it (same thing my wife calls all that "essential" stuff I put in my truck now).  My idea of a fun time in the great outdoors is not being a part-time "honey-dipper" (even if it's my own honey).  As they used to say on Green Acres, "Give me the simple life."
Old 06-27-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
bbeckham

Quote:
Greetings! Yesterday I picked up my 1996 2518 TM and want to thank all you TM vets that have posted so much great info on this site that has helped me decide that TM is the only RV for me and my family.  

I stumbled on to my TM at a local dealership and then found this site to learn all I could before buying.  The dealer had not ever seen a TM either (recent trade-in)so they had to "figure" everything out before my inspection.

From what I have read TMs do not have blackwater tanks but the dealer told me that mine did.  Could this be correct?  It has the Thetford re-cir toilet with the release handle at the base and you can hear the water emptying into a tank below.  Does it all just go to the grey tank?  

Is charging the system as easy as adding water until the dial reads "charge" or is there something else to it?

I can't wait to get to the woods in my new TM.  I understand how everything else works but the toilet is a bit puzzling so I want to have a good understanding of how it works before getting to camp.  Thanks for any tips you may have.
Hi Battles,

One valuable tip I picked up off this site last year when we got our '97 2619 TM has been real important: When dumping your tanks:

1. Dump the black water first. When it is done draining, CLOSE the valve.

2. Dump the grey water next and CLOSE the valve.

This will "rinse" somewhat the waste water hose and more importantly keep any undesirable fluid from backing up into the bath tub. We pack items in the tub when closing up the TM and the last thing I want is a backup in the tub.

Betty Ann