TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Default Any favorite Utah CGs?

I'm putting TM up for the winter now, but would like to research parks/campgrounds for next Spring/Summer. I've been thinking about taking a couple of weeks to go explore Utah and was wondering if anyone has any favorite CGs there and why you liked it. Thx much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I’m not sure what you are looking for in a campground; you might include your preferences. Some like full hookups and don’t mind a lot of people around and some like boon docking with no one within miles, and some like something in between.

That said DW and I took a 6 week trip and planned to spend a week at each of the national parks in Utah the first year after we retired. We spent a little more at some and a little less at others but fell in love with every park. The more popular (Bryce, Zion and Arches) had a lot of people but you kind of have to just put up with it. We spent 10 days at Zion and I think hiked every hike but two. The shuttle there was especially appreciated by us. Once in camp you never have to drive again if it is running and you both get to sightsee. Capital Reef, Canyonlands No. and So., were less crowded, we also took side trips to Goblin Valley and Dead Horse Sate Park, and a few others that were on the way or close at hand. We loved all the parks our favorite parks were Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Canyonlands South. The campgrounds at each were adequate, but for scenery at the site I would say Canyonlands South would be my favorite. We got a relatively private site with a wonderful view. You are seeing a picture of it as part of my signature. I have pictures posted on flickr and you will find a link in my signature. There were lots of people that gave us advice prior to going on this site so I am sure you will get more insight. You also might take a look at this post.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12741

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

This place http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7814 was awesome. A bit off the beaten path but that's what we like.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Thx for the replies. This will help me with researching places I may want to go. I've mostly stayed at CGs with elec & water, but would't mind dry camping a couple nights here or there. What I mostly enjoy are places where I can hike with the dogs while enjoying nice scenery. Thx again for the info.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 10-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Just so you know I believe most of the national parks we have been to prohibit dogs on the trails. You might check as it would be a drag to get there and discover you’re unable to take them along.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Yep, LeSherp, you are right about National Parks. Most State Parks do allow dogs on hiking trails, so that what I usually shoot for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 10-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default We liked

Wind Whistle, a BLM with vault toilets and water about 30 miles from Moab. Go south on 191. This gives you a back door into Canyon Lands NP without the crowds. It is the needles section. Nice quite CG with a host. Good area for the dogs and mtb's. Hamburger Rock is near by but it has become very restrictive on rules. Summer will be hot, was nice in Mar/April.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom View Post
I'm putting TM up for the winter now, but would like to research parks/campgrounds for next Spring/Summer. I've been thinking about taking a couple of weeks to go explore Utah and was wondering if anyone has any favorite CGs there and why you liked it. Thx much.
Willow Spring Rd (BLM) north of Moab about 8-10 miles from the Colorado River. free without permit (naturally no electrons or water but receptacles may be filled, without hassle, at the town park).
Beware that the dirt road in for about 1-1.5 miles can be very mud troughed in spring or after significant storm, may be brutally hot (over a 100F in mid summer) and a rare rattler may be encountered at night time.
Very good mountain biking/hiking nearby (about 5 miles north of Willow Springs is the Klondike Bluffs area with fossilized dinosaur footprints) and the extensive slick rock of Bartlett's.
For sure take the 45 min hike to Delicate Arch (dawn or dusk is best).
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Thx much for the additional info!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
Old 10-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom View Post
Thx much for the additional info!
Willow Springs Rd provides a 360 degree viewshed and exquisite view of the snow capped La Sal mtns to the E-SE (~25 miles away-sunrise right over them and in the afternoon when thunderheads form). enjoy
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote