TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
NeedTMSanDiego

Default Hold Down Bar Problem

I am the proud owner of a 1998 3023 and need some advice. When I latch the upper half of my TM (Black Hold down latch to Black Hold Down Bar) the trim that the Black Hold Down bar is screwed into is pulled down about 3/4 of a inch. I have checked and the screws that hold the Black Hold Down Bar to the bottom trim of the wall are very tight. It seems like the screws are attaching the Black Hold Down Bar to the bottom trim but not to the inside frame of the TM wall. Please help.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Hold Down Bar Problem

Sounds confusing to me. I have a 2003 2720SD and I don't know what you are talking about. Can you take a digital picture and post it?

Bob W.
Poway, CA
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=NeedTMSanDiego link=board=2;threadid=1562;start=msg11043#msg11043 date=1070667009]
I am the proud owner of a 1998 3023 and need some advice. When I latch the upper half of my TM (Black Hold down latch to Black Hold Down Bar) the trim that the Black Hold Down bar is screwed into is pulled down about 3/4 of a inch. I have checked and the screws that hold the Black Hold Down Bar to the bottom trim of the wall are very tight. It seems like the screws are attaching the Black Hold Down Bar to the bottom trim but not to the inside frame of the TM wall. Please help.

Thanks,
David
[/quote]

David,

The screws which hold the bar (upside-down "U" shape, with a 2" bar that extends laterally like this "H" and which the latch engages) passes thru the trim and a 1" suare, hollow aluminum tube.

If the trim is pulling down, following latching, I offer a guess that the screws which pass thru the aluminum bar have stripped the tapped threads of the bar. If so, only the trim is gripping the screw. In turn, when the latch is engaged and the shell tends to pull up, the trim bows downward and TAKES the ENTIRE strain. Again, if this hypothesis is correct, failure is not far off.

I strongly suggest calling the factory. They have "moded" the shell bracket (bar) assembly to prevent this type of failure. I Had all my brackets (bars) replaced at the factory after having a similar failure (problem).

HTH,

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #4
NeedTMSanDiego

Thanks Denny that does sound like my problem.
Did you put the new parts in yourself. If the dealer put them in how much did it cost? How much for the parts?

I love this site. Thanks for the help.
David

Old 12-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=NeedTMSanDiego link=board=2;threadid=1562;start=msg11090#msg11090 date=1071378703]
Thanks Denny that does sound like my problem.
Did you put the new parts in yourself. If the dealer put them in how much did it cost? How much for the parts?

I love this site. Thanks for the help.
David
[/quote]

David,

Factory did it GRATIS! I stopped there when returning from a trip to Fl.

The modified bracket/bar assembly has a strap which extends beyond the existing "screw attachment" area. Straps are pre-drilled with 4 holes. So, if one were to get them from the factory (best bet), then it is a simple thing to use the strap as a drill guide. I assume that self threading, sheet metal screws are included with the bracket. Don't know whether instructions are included.

I was on the floor of the bay, at the Lake City facility, where Donny Pelke and company did the work. Watched him install one of the mods. He was very careful. It is not a difficult job, given the proper drill size and a sharp bit. The molding shreds easily, even using a sharp bit, and the aluminum, of the reinforcement bar, can do the same if the bit is even a little bit dull.

If TM are charging for "moded" brackets, I'm sure it will be reasonable. TM parts are fairly priced - most here would agree.

HTH,

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote