TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Cynical

Default Problem with VIN

I just picked up what was listed and titled as a 2002 3124 from a guy in TN. I live in AL, so DMV requires a physical VIN inspection before titling the trailer. Well, turns out the VIN on the title and the previous title from original purchase is NOT the VIN on the unit or build sheet. It appears that the unit was mis registered back in 2002 when the original owners purchased and registered it; it is also a 2001. I have a copy of that original title in the binder that came with and the build list from TM, they do not match.

My local PD ran both VINs and only the one on the title comes back as ever having been registered. The officer doing the check said he had never seen anything like it; lots of hinky things, but nothing that seems to have been and error 16 years ago that has carried this far.

Anyway, now I have to get eith TN DMV and see what needs to happen to straighten this out to the satisfaction of AL so I can get eh darn thing titled and road ready. Has anyone had such an odd experience or had to deal with titling issues? I have a good paper trail between all the purchasers (I am 4th owner) at least for dates, I do not have a copy of Bill of Sale between owners 2&3, but I can follow the dates pretty close and I do have names/addresses of all parties that have owned this unit.

Any suggestions or things to present before I dig into things would be greatly appreciated. Good thing I had not planned or needed to get this baby on the road real quick!

Kathi
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

This should be on the buying checklist. The prospective buyer should always check the VIN.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Cynical

Indeed! The thing is, I did look, but apparently not at every digit. The first few and last 4 were the same, the middle were not. If I lived in TN, it would nto be an issue and it might go forever being wrong.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
DnA-NM

Default Another bad VIN stamp

I purchased a used 2417 from RV dealer in CA. When I got it back to NM and tried to register it, seems that the VIN plate was missing a digit. Luckily, the 2 printed decals were correct and the DMV accepted it along with the sales invoice. TM was nice enough to make a new VIN plate that I riveted on. Makes me wonder what kind of Quality Control TM has. Obviously CA DMV didn't bother to look at the VIN either. NM DMV requires out-of-state used vehicles to be physically inspected, just for this kind of thing.
DnA-NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

We bought a used motorcycle and had it registered and insured for years in Wyoming before moving to Arizona. When we got here and brought it in for inspection/registration we found that 1 digit on the VIN had been off apparently all along for the title and registration and insurance (or at least as far back as the previous owner). The AZ DMV folks gave us a VIN certification/inspection paper and then they printed a new title with the correct VIN without a hassle. It is strange if multiple digits are off and there is not an obvious reason how they could have been mistaken.

Or there could be a nefarious hidden history to your Trailmanor; that would be a much more fun explanation.

Good luck

Jodi
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
Cynical

I hope there is nothing nefarious about it, LOL. The folks at the TN State Vehicle Services office have been very helpful. I had to send the title and all supporting documentation back to the guy I purchased it from, he took it into his local office, who then contacted the main office. Brandon explained how they needed to file the paperwork and hopefully everything is rolling. I should know more Friday or early next week, so my fingers are crossed.

A new title will be issued to the previous owner who will then have to sign it over to me and send it back down to AL. A hassle no doubt, but at least it seems to be getting done. I will when it (yet to be named) finally has AL plates on it!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Kettlebelle

Well, now I definitely don't feel alone!

We bought our 2013 Trailmanor used from someone in Alabama few months ago and it also had an error in the engraved VIN. It was missing a character in the middle, and the propane tanks blocked the visibility of the error. In the other locations (stickers), the VIN matched the title, but the Indiana BMV inspector said only the engraved one counts for re-titling.

We were given a form to have the police inspect it and sign off that nothing similar had been reported stolen, but then the BMV couldn't get their computer to issue a title and plate for a 16 digit VIN.

Eventually we found a really helpful BMV employee at a different location who decided to process the title as a "utility trailer" since the unloaded weight is under 3k pounds rather than as a "travel trailer" which the previous title listed. This meant she didn't need to even do a physical VIN inspection.

So, we are good for now, and any future buyer in Indiana won't have any trouble getting the title, but if we sell to an out-of-state buyer they may go through this frustration, who knows. We may look into getting the engraving fixed, not sure how or where or what that nmay entail.

Odd that there are all these stamped VIN discrepancies!
Kettlebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, vin