TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Yes, I've got the Tacoma V6 on my spread sheet, and it does look nice.

But for some reason the 4x2 only goes to 3500# towing capacity. So it's a 4x4 that I need and the additional cost associated with that. The way they have it packaged, I would have to spend $5000 more than the GMC 4x2 to get up to #5000 towing capacity.
The current 4x2 PRE-RUNNER Tacoma's with tow package are rated up to 6500 #'s (for example, Tacoma Dbl-Cab 4x2pre-Runner with tow package).

The Pre-Runner model gives the 4x2 heavier suspension than the non Pre-Runner 4x2 models that are only rated at 3500 lbs.

Current complete Toyota tow guide can be found here:

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part3.pdf
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The kind of 2 wheel drive found in trucks and off-road type SUVs is called Part Time 4 Wheel Drive. You have to physcally shift a lever to go to 4 wheel high or low. 4 wheel high can be driven at highway speeds, and even shifted on the move.......which I don't like to do unless I am going slow. A Part Time 4 Wheel Drive system should not be driven on dry roads.......it needs some slippage between the axles to relief stress on the system. Most of the part time systems also have a low range for rock crawling in the moutains, or if you need extra low speed power, as in beach driving. You can not shift into low range unless you are completely stopped, and in neutral in most of these systems.

You should be able to tell which is in a vehicle by looking inside. A Part Time System will have an extra floor shifter, or buttons or a knob on the dash for the 4 wheel drive.
Thanks, that's a great description, and I think this is what we are looking at. I also remember the constant problems we had with transfer case in trucks at work that that were driven in 4 wheel (high) on mostly dry pavement.

And thanks for the Toyota towing guide, MudDog. But it seems that Toyota Canada has a different set of and fewer options available than Toyota USA. I just rechecked their 2010 Canadian Towing guide, and there is no Pre-Runner option anywhere. The only way I can even get a V6 engine is in the 4x4 model. I'll give them a call to be sure, but it's not uncommon for us to have fewer choices with the smaller market up here in Canada. Irritating, to be sure.

But we may go to 4x4 anyway. When we drove up from Florida last week (no trailer) we ran into snow north of Charleston W.V. There was a lot of slush where 4-wheel (high range) would have been useful. The traction control on the Passat got quite a work-out, and my wife remembers the experience.

But, whew, this thing is getting expensive ...
Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDog View Post
The current 4x2 PRE-RUNNER Tacoma's with tow package are rated up to 6500 #'s (for example, Tacoma Dbl-Cab 4x2pre-Runner with tow package).

The Pre-Runner model gives the 4x2 heavier suspension than the non Pre-Runner 4x2 models that are only rated at 3500 lbs.
Couple of questions as I just spotted a used 2006 Dbl-cab 4x2 Pre-Runner from the U.S. on sale here in Toronto.
1) How do you tell it's a Pre-Runner? It "looks" heavy duty ...
2) How do you tell if the tow-package was installed?

If the guy selling it has gone to the trouble of converting the U.S. registration to Ontario, and it otherwise checks out, I may be able to persuade the wife on a "bargain" 4x2.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Couple of questions as I just spotted a used 2006 Dbl-cab 4x2 Pre-Runner from the U.S. on sale here in Toronto.
1) How do you tell it's a Pre-Runner? It "looks" heavy duty ...
2) How do you tell if the tow-package was installed?

If the guy selling it has gone to the trouble of converting the U.S. registration to Ontario, and it otherwise checks out, I may be able to persuade the wife on a "bargain" 4x2.
The door sticker should have the weight rating for the truck and probably indcates the model...I'll check mine when my wife brings the truck back later today

You may also be able to have Toyota or a dealer look up the VIN (or maybe a CarFax report) and give you the details on the model and whether it had the factory tow package or not.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
brulaz

Thanks MudDog, but that one didn't have a hitch, so no trailer package. Besides the wife is digging in her heels over the 4x4 as she wants to be able to drive it in the snow.

The good news is that there's some pretty reasonably priced used Tacoma 4x4's with the towing package in the Toronto area.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
brulaz

Well, the good news is that we've almost closed a deal on a new Elkmont.

The bad news is that all those used 4x4 Tacoma's with the Factory tow package are Double cabs and just too long to be easily parked in our Condo parking spot. And used Tacoma 4x4 short cabs with the Factory tow package are rare.

So we're looking at one without the Factory tow package, and installing an aftermarket 7pin wiring harness, quality brake controller and receiver. This should give us 5000# towing capacity. I also want to put on an aftermarket transmission cooler just because we're going to the Rockies. The Factory tow package also adds an oil cooler and beefier alternator and battery to get the tow rating up to 6500#, which hopefully are not necessary for us and the Elkmont?

Also, I've read here (I think ?) that it's always better to get the Factory wiring for trailers. But I'm not sure why.

Are we making a mistake by considering aftermarket products?
Should we hold out for a 6500# Factory tow package?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Well, the good news is that we've almost closed a deal on a new Elkmont.

The bad news is that all those used 4x4 Tacoma's with the Factory tow package are Double cabs and just too long to be easily parked in our Condo parking spot. And used Tacoma 4x4 short cabs with the Factory tow package are rare.

So we're looking at one without the Factory tow package, and installing an aftermarket 7pin wiring harness, quality brake controller and receiver. This should give us 5000# towing capacity. I also want to put on an aftermarket transmission cooler just because we're going to the Rockies. The Factory tow package also adds an oil cooler and beefier alternator and battery to get the tow rating up to 6500#, which hopefully are not necessary for us and the Elkmont?

Also, I've read here (I think ?) that it's always better to get the Factory wiring for trailers. But I'm not sure why.

Are we making a mistake by considering aftermarket products?
Should we hold out for a 6500# Factory tow package
?
I think if it were me, I'd find a Toyota Truck Forum and ask that question.

Aftermarket wiring harnesses and oil coolers are fine. However, I don't really think that's the extent of the trailer pkg from Toyota these days.

I may be wrong but it could include beefier suspension parts, brakes, trans clutches, final drive gear ratios and/or other things. You may find better informed people in a Toyota Truck forum.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I used to tow our 1500 lb Boston Whaler through the Sierras and from Portland, Oregon to the coast with our 4.0L 6-cyl Jeep Cherokee. It was not unusual for the oil filter to blister. Your Elkmont will be more than twice that weight. IMHO, the oil filter adds alot of value.

Installing a 7-wire harness is not a 10-min job. You'll need to run wire from the battery, braking circuits, and signal circuits from under the hood all the way to the bumper. Obviously, you wouldn't need to do that with a factory tow package, and as a result, installing a brake controller would be a breeze.

If you don't have a powerful enough alternator, your TM batteries may not charge at all while underway. In fact, you may not be able to run the fridge, either, without running your TM batteries down.

In addition to all of that, harveyrv mentions the possibility that there may be alot more to the towing package.

You say the short beds are rare.....but they are out there. If you expand your search to the entire U.S., you could pay $400 to fly there (cross country) and check it out, fly home, and have it transported to your door for $1500 (cross country). So it would basically cost you a $2,000 premium to buy out-of-state. You're going to spend a good portion of that in properly equipping a non-towing package vehicle, not to mention all the hassle and cost of installing it, or getting it installed. To me, that's a wash financially, so I would strongly consider expanding your search.

Carmax might be a good place to check. They have lots across the country and will transfer them to a lot close to you for a fee (less than $1000 IIRC). And I want to say they also have a 30-day money back guarantee.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
bfezel

IMHO it seems that the Tacoma is not going to be enough truck to SAFELY handle the Elkmont. There is a big difference between just getting by with a tow vehicle and having something that gives you the comfort level that all is under control. Given the big investment that you are making on the Elkmont it would seem prudent to go with a full-size TV. Now this advice and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Bill
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
brulaz

Ok. We'll look harder. I've sent an email to one right now.

Even if we do buy the Elkmont tomorrow, we can't bring it up to our cottage until April because of the snow. So I have the some time.

If the Factory tow route doesn't pan out, I'll head to a Tacoma forum and start bugging them.

But it's my understanding that the big frig in the Elkmont is only two-way. It doesn't use battery power. So the beefed up truck electricals didn't seem too important.