TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Vic Mendoza

Default Elkmont Leak Issues

I am interested in the Elkmont 24 but concerned about its leak history. Since I live in HOT humid Texas. I am concerned how long the "new" caulk will last. Is this something that has to be inspected and possibly replaced periodically? Is it a big chore to replace? That leads to another question, on my trailer, I can walk on the roof to inspect seams. Can you do that on a Elkmont?

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is - is the problem fixed with the new caulk and is it a permanent fix.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Beak12

I had a few leak problems when I first got mine. The problem was address in Ohio when we went to NY, But we had about 5" of rain in Ill. But a leak showed up again later when we got back to CA. Took it to Custom RV and they worked on it. So far so good. But I do think the factory went to work on the problem and I don't think I have read anymore about leaks. As far as how often should you replace caulk who knows.
As far as walking on the roof. I don't (182 LBS) but my wife does (130 Lbs) she washes it with Wash and Wax All. And she will do this for me once a month.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
brulaz

My roof is fixed but as John says, who knows how long it will last. By all accounts the caulk is excellent, but if you travel a lot, all the shaking and rattling can do things to a trailer.

During the leaky period, I was on the roof a lot (190#) replacing the old silicone caulk, but was always on my hands and knees and used 1' sq hard foam insulation as pads to avoid dimpling the surface. No problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Pressurized RV Leak Testing

When we had some very small leaks in our Elkmont 26, we considered this: http://www.rvleaks.com/. The system puts positive air pressure inside the RV and using the exact same technique for finding leaks in your propane system, the test shows all leaks with the same bubble fluid applied to all external joints in roof, windows, doors and all joined surfaces.

TM would not pay for the test/repair ($250-$500-depending on the size and number of leaks found). They instead chose to return our TM to the dealer for leak testing and repair. Since our TM was returned we've had no leak issues.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
madjan

Default roof

i've been on my roof.. had an airconditioner problem.. the squirrel cage was rubbing on the bottom of the pan.. anyway.. i've been up there and i'm 200lbs
.. no problems.. we are in texas and we've had no leaks. our elkmont is a little over a year old now. only problem i've had is the front decal.. its started pealing and cracking.. i removed it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
Bigbit

I have posted in the past that I have not had any roof leaks in my 2010 Elkmont purchased last June, and that's still the case. I haven't been up on my roof but the guys from Custom RV were all over it the day they did my trailer prep when I bought it.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Petra1

Default 2009 Elkmont

We developed a bad lead just after the warranty expired. Trailmanor said to have any RV repair fix it and to arrange with them for payment. I had a mobile RV repair person caulk the entire roof but to no avail and had to cover it for the winter. We called Trailmanor again this spring and they still said they would pay for repair by any shop so we took it to an RV body shop that discovered through pressure testing that the awning was improperly installed. The leak was fixed at a cost of about $500 which Trailmanor took care of directly with the repair shop.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
ng2951

The early Elkmonts had problems with leaks. TM did a lot to rectify the problem. How successful they have been is unknown, but it is not without a lot of work and money by TM.

I was at the factory in early June, 2011. At that time they were not building any Elkmonts; only the folding line. They had been working on fixing the leaks on customer Elkmonts.

Considering that almost 2 months have passed, I would expect TM probably has figured out the leak issue by now...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
brulaz

The factory fixed mine last fall. No leaks since then. It too seemed to be leaking around the door area where the awning attaches. Glad to hear that they are working out the problems.