TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Thumbs up Morro Bay, California

Thought I'd pass along our recommendation for a full-service RV park on the Central Coast of California. We are presently spending 10 days at Morro Dunes, which is on the west side of Highway 1, at the Highway 41 exit, just north of Morro Bay.

Morro Bay is right on the water, about 25 miles west of San Luis Obispo, CA (and Cal Poly).

The park is well maintained and has immediate access to the sand dunes and the ocean that makes Morro Bay so popular. Several golf courses are within a 30 minute drive.

Added 5/11/06: I should have informed you that this park provides FREE WiFi. It works very well. This is becoming an important consideration for those of us who carry our laptops with us to keep in touch. (Paul)

The only down side to this RV park is that it is so popular you need to make your reservations several months in advance, even in the non-vacation months. We lucked out. We called 2 days before we planned to arrive and asked for 12 days. They had 3 days available (Tues-Thurs), but said that they would keep us in mind if they got a cancellation. They called us when we were about 2 hours away and told us they received a cancellation and said we could stay a total of 10 days. We booked it and have enjoyed every minute on this part of the California Coast.

[email protected], (805)772-2722.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up We like this park too

We've stayed there twice, just dropped by without reservations, but in January this year and two years ago. At that time of the year, there were a lot of vacant spots. As you said, it is a very well-maintained RV park, and we found it to be extremely quiet, and offering WIFI too. Good base camp for exploring Hearst Castle and the general area. We'd go there again in a heartbeat. Good sunsets from the beach there in January!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I have a reservation for this coming Friday and Saturday at Morro Bay State Park. I made my reservation last week. They were out of full hookups, so we will dry camp for two nights. We are using the TM as a motel room to stay near out son for a race weekend.

Paul, if you are still there this Saturday and desperate for something to do, Cal Poly's Mechanical Engineering department is hosting the annual Collegiate Human Powered Vehicle contest. What a fancy name for a bicycle contest. The winner is the bike/rider capable of achieving the fastest speed. I think they achieve speeds in excess of 60 mph on flat ground.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Wayne,
We've stayed at the state park in past years when we were dry campers. Played golf at the muni course right behind the state park on several occasions.

Unfortunately our time is up on Friday morning this week. We are heading up to McCloud for the final week of our vacation before heading home. It would have been a great opportunity to meet you after all the posts we have exchanged over the years. Perhaps on your next trip to Lake Almanor we can connect over a cup of coffee at Three Bean or the Coffee Station.

Poly Royale was going on this past weekend. My cousin, who just retired from the Math Dept after 30umpteen years of teaching is vacationing in Michigan, visiting relatives, so we didn't even get a chance to visit with them this trip. Oh well, that's the way life is... and we just try to go with the flow.

Have a great time while you're here. Just in case, drop by Morro Dunes and check space 88 to see if our Tahoe and blue Ford F150 are still here. If so, stop by to say HI.