TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

For me, one of the core problems with refilling disposable 1-lb propane tanks is that they are built to be disposable. Especially the fill and air valves. One time I was using such a tank (never refilled), and when I removed the appliance, the fill valve did not close and so propane leaked out. I could not get it to stop, so I just put it in an open area and let all of the gas leak out. Lovely.

Fortunately, though, I was outside, and I noticed it. Imagine if it were in your car, and you didn't notice it. Unpleasant, indeed. I just think that the more one uses those valves, whether it be to continually connect/disconnect the bottles or to refill them, the components of the valve will weaken and eventually fail. I know there will be countless numbers of people that can say they've been refilling the tanks like this for years and have never had a problem. I believe them. But the risk of failure, in my mind, is just not worth the risk.

I don't use 1-lb disposable containers anymore, except for the occasion I use a torch. For camping, I use a 5-lb refillable cylinder for my portable grill and stove. It holds about a gallon, and so it costs me about $3 to fill it, and that's probably the price (at least) of one 1-lb disposable.

No more landfill waste, no dangerous refilling, no disposable valves, and I'm saving money to boot!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote