TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have many ideas for why and how TM got to where it is but not the time or place.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
kempert
Site Sponsor

When I talked to Cleo in April, she said they were going to stick with the original or traditional TM. She said they made a mistake when they went away from it.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempert View Post
When I talked to Cleo in April, she said they were going to stick with the original or traditional TM. She said they made a mistake when they went away from it.
I'd have to agree when it comes to the Elkmont, but I think both the Rise and the Rise TC are good concepts, that at least stay within the niche of 'low-profile' campers that raise to full height. I suppose though, in reality, they need to get their feet back on the ground with the traditional TM, with just a few models. Perhaps in the future they could attempt to expand to TCs. The number of TCs that just Lance pumps out each year, that are obviously selling, makes me think that they would have a market for them.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sorry but the rise and rise TC really have little to offer other than headroom. Part of the appeal of the TM is the dramatic increase in floorspace when opened.

Take my 2720SL. The basic floor areal is about 125 sq ft (18x7). Open up the modules and pull out the slide and now you are talking 170 sq. ft. (not including the slide flap). That is a 36% increase in living area.

Now a Rise has the same issue a Hi-Lo did, no increase in area, just headroom.

Next look at the demographics. Pop-up tent campers are used to increased floor space when open, even an A-liner does that. What the TM offers is bear-proof and environmentally controllable plus quieter than a canvas expansion. A TM is a move up for a pop-up camper which much the same effort. I suspect few downsize from a conventional trailer to a TM. Did anyone here give up their Airstream for a TM ?

That I suspect is the core TM purchaser: someone used to the amenities of a pop-up and who wants more (safety/comfort) and able to use the same lighter TV they always used.

Thoughts ?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Padgett, my TM is the first travel trailer I've ever owned. When I first started looking a few years ago, I had heard about HiLo and then stumbled across TM in my research. I wanted something that was lightweight, easy to tow and could store in my garage. I got lucky and found a new TM at a dealer that was going out of business and made a pretty good deal on it. I made a number of mistakes when I first started using it, but have learned quite a bit and now I'm pretty comfortable with it. The only thing I don't like is having to raise and lower the shells. I'm 6' tall and pretty darn strong, but raising the front shell is pretty tough by myself. I'm going to look at adjusting the torsion bars a little this weekend and see if I can make it a little easier to lift the front shell (without making it too hard to close it).

Agree with you that the Rise doesn't expand the space the way the traditional TM does, but I sure with the traditional ones had some kind of hydraulic lift system where I could push a button and the shells would raise and lower. I suspect after a few more years, I'll probably start looking at a Lance just so that I don't have to deal with the shells and setup anymore.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #16
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Padgett - I don't agree with you in the increased floor space with TMs. Yes, there is a small increase if you have a slide, but overall, the only floor space increase is the amount the slide pulls out times the width of the trailer. The beds don't count as "floor space" area, in my opinion. So, for my 3023, there is absolutely zero increase in floor space when I open her up. Yes, it has more floor space than a TT with the same tow footprint, but it's floor space doesn't increase.

I think the TM TC would appeal to a significant amount of people. TCs are very popular overall, and there are significant number of TM owners that already want to, or do go to, places you can't go with a regular TT. Imagine the boondocking capabilities with a TC that only adds a small amount of height to your off-road pickup! That demographic is pretty large actually - just think of the hunting crowd, and up here, the snowmobiling crowd - a TC allows them to still tow their sled trailer.

As Cindy already said as well, the lifting of the two shells on a traditional TM sort of ensures they loose a demographic - one they could get back with the Rise. I myself was seriously considering a Lance last year, simply because I know I won't be able to deal with the set up on TM forever. I looked at the Alto because I knew it would at least be easier to tow than the Lance, and the thought of hydraulic lifts is way more appealing than the manual lifting of the TM's shells. If the Rise had been out, in production, I wouldn't have even looked at a different brand, I would have moved right to the Rise.

In the end, I know I'll only have the TM a few more years. Camping should be fun and relaxing, and I'm at the stage in my life where I no longer want to worry about straining my back, slipping a disk, making my shoulder worse than it is, trying to get to that fun and relaxing part of camping. TM is missing two large demographic by sticking with just the traditional TMs - but I do think that's where they need to be right now, focused on getting back on track with them. I am however, hopeful that they continue playing around with the Rise and the TCs - because I think they will be a hit, with two entirely different groups of people, and it would be two different groups than what they attract with the traditional TMs.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well before the TM I had a Vixen 21' Class A pusher (bed over engine) & can say my 2720SL is no longer but has A Lot more space when open. Maybe you do not count the bed area but is certainly isn't taking up any available floor space (and is only on one end of mine.

Just wish the R&D spent making the Rise electric had be spent on the core models.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post

Just wish the R&D spent making the Rise electric had be spent on the core models.
Yup, definitely agree with you there!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 AM   #19
marshel308

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Pro...90TB-116872570

The Rise prototype has been for sale on RVTrader forever at Prosser RV, they've been dropping the price lately. You would have to be a brave soul to take the plunge.
marshel308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #20
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshel308 View Post
You would have to be a brave soul to take the plunge.
Yes, considering the issues with TMs built after the move. However, I think it is a sharp looking trailer, although the 190MB is the one I would be interested in, and I'd yank the dinette out and do a similar mod I did to my 3023.

Regardless, I think they have a good concept for TM owners that are aging and no longer want to lift the shells. Although, an electric lift system for the traditional TMs would be a better answer. They could always offer the non-electric standard, as a cost saving option for young families.