TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Waggtech

Mike's in law brother here... I found the owners forum in my research for a solution...

I think the water damage came from two sources. The wheel well liners on this rig have taken some abuse from past tire blow outs, and it looks to me that water may have infiltrated there. Also, I found that the top vent line out of the water tank had come loose from the outside filler allowing water from the tank to vent into the inside of the trailer. The vent is not only the indicator of a full tank during the filling process, but also provides means as a pressure relief from sloshing water with a partially filled tank while in transport.

My plan is to test the water system once the water tank is back in place to insure there are no leaks or drips from the water pump seals...
Waggtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #12
dahicke

Default Rivet nuts don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
I see what your chatting about. I thought it was on the bottom of the roof, which is the stirrup hold down, but your dealing with the underside of the bottom box. There are rivot nuts that can be installed into the bottom. Like an expandable nut or sleeve that is threaded for a machine nut. Not a lag screw that essentially digs or carves itself into the wood or metal and over time can pull out. As you mention, wood rot is probably the culprit there due to the underside is so close to the road surface and rain, wet roads can penetrate over time. Does appear that there is some staining with a wet area. I don't know I would open up that can of worms on what's under the bottom panel or belly cover. I've offered a link for rivot nuts.
I tried this solution, rivet nuts rely on going through a structural metal hole and crushing to the opposite side to hold. The bottom of the TM is plywood sheathed in thin sheet aluminum. The wood doesn't resist the expanding rivet well enough to hold and the sheet aluminum is just thick enough to protect the wood from water.

I was hoping that a sheet of steel reinforcement was there that I could see between the wood and the aluminum sheet due to the dark color of the hole.

I am going to try pumping structural epoxy into hole with the bolt and see if that can make a strong enough bond with the wood to resist the tension pull.

If I were to redesign the construction of this part of the TM, I would use blind nuts instead of relying on lag bolts, which I believe are better in shear and less so in tension.

Dave
dahicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but HOW did you embed a picture into your post, instead of the thumbnail attachments?
Perhaps more to the point, WHY did you try to embed a picture instead of attaching it with the Forum's own tools? The attachment process is easy, and the picture is guaranteed to always be there, for as long as the forum exists. By using an outside photo-hosting site, the only thing you are guaranteed is that the picture will disappear at some point, either because the hosting site goes out of business, or because you don't pay the storage fee. That is frustrating for anyone who comes back to your post later on, expecting to find some help - and gets nothing but the PAGE NO LONGER EXISTS error message that we are seeing now in your post.

I've been here for 20 years, and have seen a steady stream of hosting sites go under, taking with them knowledge that we need here on the Forum. I urge everyone - if the picture is worth including in the first place, please attach it to your post so it doesn't disappear, even after you have left the Forum.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=16117

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote