TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
travelinklunts

Default Northern Washington?

Any good spots towards northern Washington?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

Depending on exactly which part of northern Washington you are interested in I might be able to help...
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
HEATHFINANCIAL

Default California State Parks

Does anyone know when the state parks say theres a maximum trailer size, do they count the folded trailermanor size? or the fully popped up size? most of the parks have a 23-24' trailer size restriction.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Default CA Parks and TMs

My thoughts...two reasons for length recommendations -- some parks have very tight roads (at least in my part of CA) and the closed length of a TM helps there. Some also have limited length "parking" areas once you get to your site; but there is usually space for the back shell to extend beyond the defined area. Obviously, each site is different but I have yet to see one without 5-6 feet clearance behind the "parking spot". Several folks on this board have been to CA State parks -- if you list several you are interested in you will probably get great details.

mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
HEATHFINANCIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmark View Post
My thoughts...two reasons for length recommendations -- some parks have very tight roads (at least in my part of CA) and the closed length of a TM helps there. Some also have limited length "parking" areas once you get to your site; but there is usually space for the back shell to extend beyond the defined area. Obviously, each site is different but I have yet to see one without 5-6 feet clearance behind the "parking spot". Several folks on this board have been to CA State parks -- if you list several you are interested in you will probably get great details.

mark

thanks.
were heading out to Clearlake and New Brighton in Santa Cruz. Clearlake looks fine they have a 35' trailer limit.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Haven't been to Clear Lake for a long, long time, but New Brighton's roads are pretty wide with few obstacles compared to some we've been in. I hike around there quite a bit when I do my Sunday beach walks from Seacliff. You should have no problem getting into most of the sites. That's a great campground and they've recently remodeled the bathrooms. If you need supplies there's a Safeway and an Ace Hardware in Aptos on the other side of the freeway off State Park Drive, also a Nob Hill in Capitola off of Bay Ave.

From what I remember about Clear Lake, it also has fairly wide roads too...I was recording some VCR tapes from one of our trips there onto DVD a couple of months ago and the roads looked even wider than New Brighton. We liked going up there, but it takes a LONG time to get there from here (or from Los Gatos, where we lived for a while). The traffic on N 101 through Marin, etc. is awful on Friday afternoons, but besides that, it just takes a long time. That's why we haven't been there for a long time! I love that area though, it's so pretty and green, kind of like parts of Oregon. Good catfish fishing, too. DH caught a pretty good sized one there right in the campground.

TM's are pretty easy to tuck into most sites because of where the wheels are; there's a lot of room for overhang too.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
HEATHFINANCIAL

last year we did Van Damme in Mendocino, Big Basin and then Big Sur, all with a tent . I had bought a nice big tent for Big Sur and the squirrels ripped through the tent wall and stole a roll that was left next to cooler. we woke up in the morning with half a roll pulled through the tent wall
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
rjsmalley

Travelinklunts, seems like everyone high jacked you to CA, but you asked about WA. I was in the deception pass state park in Feb. and it was great. It is located north of Seattle. Check it out: http://www.stateparks.com/deception_pass.html
Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Not in Northern Washington, but I've heard Fort Canby State Park (which is now Cape Disappointment State Park) is very nice.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote