TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Whacky Idea??

I hope to retire from the FD in about 5 years and when I do I hope to travel the Tenn. River in some sort of house boat. I'm toying with the idea of mounting a TM in a cradle on a pontoon boat built for that specific purpose. The craft would be light weight and low profile when on the road and when in transit on the water.

I've read the forum for info about weight and stability in the wind etc. I'd love to hear from experienced TM owners who might have an opinion on this subject.

Thanks in advance for all opinions.
Sam
Old 07-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Whacky Idea??

Sam -

I think you mean that you would tow the TM onto a cradle on the pontoon boat, and live in the TM while on the water. Then, when you want to go ashore, you would tie the pontoon boat up to the dock (or river bank), and pull the TM off the boat and onto the land - and then go trailering in the normal way. Later, you would pull the TM back onto the boat, chain it down, and off you go up- (or down-) river again.

Am I right in this interpretation? If so, it ought to be a fascinating project. Love to hear more as it goes on. The low weight and low center of graivity of the TM ought to be a blessing on the water.

Big pontoon boat - it will carry your tow vehicle as well, right? - but a lot of fun. How big do you figure the boat will be? What will you power it with?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
tipper

Neat idea.

The shells of the open TM may be prone to shifting and movement caused by swells. The shell positioning is very sensitive to being on a good level, marginally secured by small pins at its corners. I imagine that an open TM would behave in a flimsy manner riding on pontoons in a river and not too durable.

I would recommend an RV with a more uni-body construction for this purpose.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #4

Wow, three responses so quickly! Great Forum.

I hope to build the pontoon boat out of stainless steel. I will have a fifth wheel hitch on the fore deck. The wheels that retract upward out of the water line. The pontoons would be mounted on drawer-like mechanisms and would increase total deck width to a total of fourteen feet on the water and would be eight feet on land. I'd probably go with one of the 27 models on a 36 ft. total deck length.

The TM would have to be modified with extendable arms from the appropriate points on the frame . The TM would be placed on the pontoon frame by electric hoist at home only.

The problem with the bed sections would be solved by two storage boxes that would serve as supports for those sections when the unit was open. They would be designed for seating and lounging when the unit is closed.

I expect the entire vessel to weight about 5200 lbs.

What ya think?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:22 PM   #5

I forgot to mention that when on land the side decks would extend to allow the unit to be used on land as well. It would just need an extra set of steps. A set of handrails would be attached to the side pontoon decks to provide for safety on both land and water.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
tipper

Let me comment from a different perspective.

No one would consider moving, even carefully for a short distance, an open TM. It's really that flimsy while open.

You may accomplish what you're after with a TM but IMO you risk a lot of time and money.

Consider a hybrid RV - far cheaper, more sturdy for on the water, and the folding beds will allow and easier support arrangement as you wish.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:35 AM   #7
2619PDX

Can I ask another question here?
Why not take the axle off the TM, and mount it (the TM) directly to the deck of your pontoon boat somehow? :-/

That would be an intesting idea...

You'd create at TrailManor house boat of sorts 8)

Gregg
Old 07-08-2003, 04:54 AM   #8
Windbreaker

Let's take another tack here. Back in the late 70s I made a stop at Captial Reef for an overnighter and in pulled a small houseboat on a trailer. I talked to the guy and said it made a great RV plus it went places other RVs couldn't!

I haven't priced house boats but sounded ok to me. It was smaller than most you see and it set no higher than the big motorhomes and not as high as some 5ers.