TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Wow. We have a steep driveway, too. We opted to pay to park our TM in storage. I may have to look into this. Storage isn't cheap. We have a spot to park our TM under a large deck on a patio. I just thought our driveway was too steep--that the rear bumper would bottom out on the concrete trying to back it up from the street. hmmmm. very interesting.
It's something you should think about; the biggest hurdle for me was not the cost of the unit itself (around $700 with shipping), but it was finding someone to install it. The difficulty is this is an RV specialty item, so regular auto mechanic shops are reluctant to try an install.

I rolled the dice with a local independent RV dealership which had done some basic work on my TM before, but had never installed this type of product. The service manager was pretty sure he could do it, gave me an estimate and a time frame, and completed the work on budget and on time ... and (so far knock wood) it works like a charm!

Before considering this solution, I would definitely recommend doing some research on getting it installed.
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Randoni

Well I will say, I have never heard or seen that trailer mover before. Doesn't the spray off the wheels in the rain just drench it? It does look like it would solve a lot of problems. I was going to say the hitch on front would be easy, but it has been mentioned above. As far as storage and tow vehicle, a larger trailer would be fine. I have house on a hillside with the lower level all garage. So what it adds up to is a sloped triple wide driveway 60 feet long and a garage with two 60 foot bays essentially under the house. And another 50 foot flat driveway in front of the house. As far as tow vehicle, I have a dodge diesel, long bed that as 100 gallon bed tank. 29 mpg hwy, 15 mpg towing our 28 ft toy hauler that's 11 1/2 ft high. I'm looking at basically going sideways, and getting something easier to tow. One of my best trips was pulling an old Coleman tent trailer across Canada. I guess I'm looking at camping instead of Rving, if that makes sense. I appreciate your input. As far as maintenance on a TM shouldn't be a problem, pretty mechanical. I'm just amazed how many different models and lengths span through the years.
Randoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoni View Post
Well I will say, I have never heard or seen that trailer mover before. Doesn't the spray off the wheels in the rain just drench it? It does look like it would solve a lot of problems. I was going to say the hitch on front would be easy, but it has been mentioned above ...

... I appreciate your input. As far as maintenance on a TM shouldn't be a problem, pretty mechanical. I'm just amazed how many different models and lengths span through the years.
To answer your question the spray off the wheels has not been an issue at all as of yet. Every time I park it and engage the rollers, I can see the motors and no issue with road grime at all.

It's hard to put in words how fantastic it is to successfully maneuver with minimal clearances a 3000 lbs TM into our garage using a remote control!

I think you put it best: you want to camp as opposed to "RV'ing", and while I believe a TM works for either scenario, IMHO it really does shine for "camping".

Since you are "mechanical", your skills plus this forum will enable you to tackle anything that comes your way in terms of upkeep and maintenance.

So what it really boils down to: which model and how soon are you getting a TM?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Randoni

Well the wife loves our current coach, but is set on the trailmanor. I've got to the point in my life that I'm being advised to lower my exposure to sun, so I'm having to pick and choose hobbies. Our plans are to sell the motorcycle, bass boat, and our toy hauler. The yield of those should buy us a good TM, and then some. We are planning on selling those in July, find a TM and take a extended fall trip. That should give me time to check the bearings, and get new tires. Since trailer tires have gotten so unpredictable the last 10 years. I went to a 2 year and gone rule on tires. No matter the miles. It's really kinda insurance. I'm guessing since we have a tow vehicle, and plenty of space, it's going to be a go big, or go home when shopping for a trailer.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoni View Post
Well the wife loves our current coach, but is set on the trailmanor.
The yield of those should buy us a good TM, and then some. We are planning on selling those in July, find a TM and take a extended fall trip. That should give me time to check the bearings, and get new tires. Since trailer tires have gotten so unpredictable the last 10 years. I went to a 2 year and gone rule on tires. No matter the miles. It's really kinda insurance. I'm guessing since we have a tow vehicle, and plenty of space, it's going to be a go big, or go home when shopping for a trailer.
As I'm sure you have learned, it's always good to keep the wife happy!

I also agree with you 100% on trailer tire issues the past decade, and being proactive replacing them becomes a form of cheap insurance. IMHO based on my research in the Tires Tires Tires forum, I decided to go with Maxxis and have been very pleased with their performance so far. Not the cheapest tire solution, but the additional "margin for error" is what I hope I'm paying for/getting with Maxxis.

One last thought is that many folks here have added TPMS sensors, something I plan on adding to my TM sooner then later; provides additional "insurance" plus a built-in reminder to keep tires properly inflated.

There is no harm in looking, so let the TM shopping begin ...
Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #16
Randoni

What I've been doing, is every time we stop for what ever reason. I put my hand on the tires. I have found a couple early problems just from the temperature difference. In the winter it's really easy, summer a little more difficult....lol. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
GolfingDebby

When we were looking for a used Trailmanor we decided to buy the largest one they made because of the king-sized bed. It was a wise decision for us because it also has a sofa, chair, separate 3 drawer chest, 2 person dinette and dual axles so we can carry more stuff. We spend about 5-6 months a year camping and it's been perfect! We tow it with an Expedition. Good luck on your search!