TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #61
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Easy enough to fix foolishness like this. Check the kid out of school mid morning, and bring solar glasses with you.

I remember being in fourth grade thirty something years ago, and watching the eclipse. We made solar viewers out of cardboard boxes. A bunch of kids looking at the partial eclipse running around with cardboard boxes on our heads. Then we got board and started playing.

To make a solar viewer, you need a big box. Hole on the bottom to put your head through. Hole on the side to let the light though, positioned so the light can pass by your head. Projects the sun's image inside on the back of the box. Like a pinhole camera.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #62
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Well, the eclipse is nearly upon us. Watch the weather, and make sure I've got an alternate site to go to if the forecast could go bad. Nashville looks good. Alliance be looks good. Southern Illinois is a little iffy.

Indian cave, where I picked my spot, looks like it could be grand central for cloudy skies, forcing me to an alternate spot. Maybe grand island or alliance.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #63
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
Our local schools are keeping the "children" in school so they don't hurt their little eyes looking at the eclipse.

Why not have the parents buy a pair of glasses with a permission slip and send them outside to show them the eclipse?

Use this experience to learn about the solar system, have working models out so they can understand this phenomenon.

And yet, we wonder what's wrong with education.
Same thing going on in the Middle GA area too. It's right during the afternoon dismal times with kids being outside waiting on buses and pickup, etc. Seems like a better idea to just dismiss everyone by noon.

Anyway, we are headed to Aiken State Park, east of Aiken, SC this weekend. Mainly for a mini family get together as my brother is coming over from Memphis, but will stick around Monday too. If anyone is in that area and spots a well used 3023, give us a shout.

I like the no camera suggestions above. No need to view it for me I know what an eclipse looks like and there will be millions of photos available so no need to try that either. I heard a good suggestion instead to photo the landscapes and scenery with the changing shadows and lighting effects that will occur during the period.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #64
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Heading to OR to see the eclipse, got a site at Silver Falls State Park. Just taking the Prius & the tent to make the drive easier & faster. Our site has water and power but we don't have much to plug in! Daughter staying home to take care of the cat, supposedly there will be a 75% or so coverage of the sun here. I left her a pair of eclipse glasses (yes they are on the approved list).

Bringing all the food & supplies we will need, we'll fill up with gas along the way as we go. We plan on staying the night on the 21st so hopefully the traffic going south won't be that bad.

Hoping that the weather cooperates with our eclipse viewing!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #65
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

we are off to LBL tomorrow. Had to check our glasses from amazon, they look good.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #66
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Washington post is doing a nice forecast map.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ca8cec554f26

On our way to Indian cave state park on sat. Bought new eclipse glasses when mine were recalled

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #67
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Where did you find glasses?!? I can't find them anywhere and mine were recalled, too...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #68
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Local spit had em. They're out now

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 08-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #69
handjstar

Default Eclipse luck

I didn't really plan it but got real lucky to be in totality in The Grand Tetons. I knew I packed my scope and sun filter for 4600 miles so far for a reason.............."Even a blind hog finds a acorn every once and awhile"
handjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #70
clan_salmons

Locked and loaded in Asheville NC. Eastern TN is looking pretty good at the moment.

Spent most of the week at Mt Pisgah on the BRP to get out of the heat. Gorgeous. Running AC at the moment, sigh.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote