TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2003, 03:00 AM   #1
2619PDX

Default Cooking in our TM's - Favorite menu items?

This is a carryover from the great discussion we've been having on the "Suggestions to carry your Microwave" thread...

As I asked over there - Are there other simple alternatives to the usual canned or boxed foods many of us carry for those cold winter times and other weather times where you can't fire up the grill outside ???

This is our first trailer and we're still getting used to how to cook in the thing. I would think that we'd want to keep things as simple as possible without getting into complex food prepartations either... :

So what do some of our seasoned veterans do?

This should be a fun thread!

Gregg
Old 01-17-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
2619PDX

Default Re: Cooking in our TM's - Favorite menu items?

Hey, Softie - I like to cook outdoors too! But up here in the Northwest, during the winter and early spring, we can't due to darkness and weather!

Softie... Hmmm somehow that term could be miscontrued...

Anyway, On our trips to date, we've been so busy that we end up driving into town to eat anyway, but this get's expensive.

I love it, McDonalds for breakfast. Now if there was a local donut shop, my 6 year old son would be happy!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:19 AM   #3
2619PDX

So what in the world is a shrimp thingytail??? anyway?
OHHHH ;D i get it too...

You naughty boy!! I'm laughing so hard, i'm crying!!!

I love the internet. remember that this IS a family site!

I get ya!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #4
tipper

pretty funny
wonder who decides what words and substitutions
Old 01-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #5

Try shrimp c-o-c-ktail

It should work ;D
Nothing like having a smart alec 16 year old know it all daughter >

Thanks girl

Aaron  8)
Old 01-18-2003, 07:51 AM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

The "thingy" substitution is just the artificial intelligence built into the Bulletin Board software. The key word here being artificial. But it is no match for the real intelligence and determination of a 16 year old. ;D

Now, if I could only get my 13 year old son to have the same determination with his homework.

Regarding dining in the TM.

Our favorite meal is Tacos, the same as Texas_Camper.

We also have our comfort food cooking such as slice and bake cookies and hot cider. Also for breakfast, the refrigerator cinnamon rolls in a can.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #7
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Crock Pot Recipes work well also. You can start it in the morning, go out for the day, and when you return in the evening the meal is ready to go.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 AM   #8
Happytrails

One tip I got from my father who's done quite a bit of camping in his motorhome is to fix spagetti meat prior to leaving out. Then place it in a jar and freeze it in the freezer. Then when you feel like cooking spagetti, all you have to do is heat the meat and boil some noodles and you're all set! This works well with Taco/burreto meat as well. Since it's frozen when ya start out, keeping it in the previously cooled down reefer virtually insures that it will not go bad no matter how long the trip to your destination!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 01-20-2003, 05:45 AM   #9
2619PDX

HappyTails - Along those lines, found that out here after our chirstmas trip. My father in law gave us a gallon jug of freshly squeezed apple cider that was frozen.

We put this in the fridge on January 2nd. The fridge was on until we got home on the 5th. I didn't get to clean out the fidge until Saturday the 11th. (That's 10 days...)Mind you the trailer was in the down position this entire time, and the battery had long since been exhausted...

The apple cider was still partially frozen, and the refridge was still 38 degrees in that time. Now also outside ambient was in the mid 40's as well.

But those Dometic refrigerators really work when you put a big chunk of ice in em!

Gregg
Old 01-20-2003, 06:03 AM   #10
Chris_Bauer

We never do without on a trip. We have a complete kitchen and cook as if we were at home.  We make great salads, steamed veggies and chicken or fish for dinner.  When we are at South Padre Island and the Texas coast we try to steam shrimp as often as possible.  Breakfast and lunch include hotcakes, omelets, homemade hashbrowns.  Stews and soups and beans, made in the crockpot are made in quantities easily stored.  Ziplock bags doubled or tripled are great for stroing liquids as they are more manueverable in the refrigerator.

Not eating balanced diets on the road can lead to over inflated tires, if you know what I mean.