TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Weigh the rig.

OK, where? I just realized that I have no idea where to find scales to weigh my rig. Didn't need to with a tent, never thought of it with our pop-up, dad did it for all his units we borrowed, I haven't done this since I was a kid camping with my dad. He always used the scales at state line weigh stations. Just pull in and ask to use their scales. They were usually so bored they were happy to have the distraction of my family clan weighing the vacation jumble. Those places have changed. No more bored and friendly state employees. Most aren't even open. So, where do I do this? I must be overlooking someplace simple.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
PopBeavers

www.catscale.com

Also consider your local:

quarry
garbage dump
aggregate materials supplier
scrap metal handler

etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
TexasThunder

Call your local moving company(s).
Search for "public scale" and "your city", sometimes that helps, too.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
hal

In Colorado, we have been advised that if you use the State of Colorado scales and they find your trailer to be over weight, you will be told to unhitch your trailer until the excess weight is removed.

Hal
Old 10-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Here's a public awareness RV safety site that includes a weighing program: http://www.rvsafety.org/schedule.cfm Thanks to RMR for pointing it out. They will weigh each wheel and the tongue. It is recommended to bring your TM packed as you would for a trip. Expect a surprise on how heavy you are.
R_W

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
witchss

how exactly do you make a new post.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
witchss

we own a 2005 kia sedona 3500lbs towing cap. we want to order a 2007 2619tm do you think we would be ok with just the journey brake controller. we go up to nh twice a year for the races. we currently tow a 2000 bantum flyer 17ft. which with the hills it gets pretty hard on the engine. whats this about a tranny cooler or do you think we would need a wdh. the rest of the time we are going to be on flatter ground.we just want to be safe with towing. having already gotten well let nicely say lied too and purchased a 19ft bantum trailsport 2006 and being told no prob. you can tow it sign right here.stupid us we did then 2 days later went to pick it up and was told be the service dept. that theres no way you can tow that with that van. sales turned into jerks and we had to get a lawyer threatened to sue and they gave us back our 17ft. now were scared to buy. but are being told that we can tow the 2619 so i guess we are looking for any advice good or bad. thanks sue
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
Magdefrau

You will find towing up tp a 3023 model is possible. A WDH will help your control as well as an air lift assist system. You can climb hills, however expect to do so slower than most traffic. I pull our TM with a Dodge Grand Caravan tow limit of 3,500 pounds. We do fine. If I had a large truck I would had gotten one of those big fancy fifth wheels.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsoncarol View Post
OK, where? I just realized that I have no idea where to find scales to weigh my rig. I must be overlooking someplace simple.
Carol,
Look under "scales" in your Yellow Pages. Moving companies are listed here in addition to other public scales. There will be a fee.

If you travel through Oregon, you can use their state truck scales when they are closed because the scales remain active and the readout is in front of the driver as you drive across the scale. Stop on the scale with each axle, TV and trailer, and you'll know how you have loaded each axle.

Enjoy your travels.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotor_wash View Post
Here's a public awareness RV safety site that includes a weighing program: http://www.rvsafety.org/schedule.cfm Thanks to RMR for pointing it out. They will weigh each wheel and the tongue. It is recommended to bring your TM packed as you would for a trip. Expect a surprise on how heavy you are.
R_W
I'll keep on eye on this web site for the futuer. I see that on one occasion last year they were only 100 miles away.

I weighed my axles at a CAT scale. CAT scales are not very easy to use to weigh each wheel when there is a line of trucks waiting to use the scales.