TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Maga04

Exclamation Our Dry Run is Wet! Help!!!

Just purchased a 2008 2720 here in Central Florida and took it for a dry run at a nearby state park. First a little background on the trailer.

The previous (first) owners purchased it in 2009 from a local dealer after it had been sitting on the lot for several months. Nice older couple who stored it in their garage, took it out for short weekend trips maybe six times, last trip over a year ago. It looks brand new, but the outside caulking has black mold in it, not surprising for Florida.

After setting up on a pretty level camping spot yesterday (we were FT Rvers a few years back so we know the basics, made sure we were level, etc.), we first noticed that a small, rubber backed rug belonging to PO, lying directly under the A/C was wet. Not suspecting, we thought that maybe it was from the A/C due to it running on max for several hours. Water from the A/C was running off the roof and down the front right corner of the trailer at this time.

I took the original rug and put it outside, noticing it had water stains on the underneath side. I had bought some new, all cotton rugs and placed one by the front door, fits perfectly from wall to wall, and another by the sink. This evening after washing quite a few dishes (daughter and grandkids came for dinner), DH noticed a wet area right next to the bench seat by the fridge, thought one of the kids spilled something. We lifted up the bench cover and lo and behold, there's a puddle of water that seems to be coming out from under the cabinet. Hubby saw water dripping from the pump, though we are on city water and not using it . Only way we stopped it was turning off the pressure outside.

Now here is the weird part; I shook out the rug next to the front door and noticed the side next to the other bench was wet too! Hubby opened it up and low and behold more water, approximately half of the underside of the table extension is wet, and dark areas near the underneath metal tabs lead me to believe it is not the first time.

My questions: are these two wet areas related? What on earth is going on, any ideas????
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Did you have a pressure reducer on the water supply line. The pressure at some campgrounds is very high and can cause leaks in the TM plumbing. When on public water, there is water pressure at the pump outlet as that is what stops the water from going into the water tank.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Maga04

The prior owners gave us the one they used; it is on the hose right now, but is the damage already done? What do we do now?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Maga4,

What you do now is find the leak(s). I would set the camper up at home, and make sure you have the interior completely dry. Thoroughly inspect all the areas you already discovered, as well as any other floor-level nooks and crannies. Then hook up your city water, and start looking for leaks. The very first place to look is inside the cabinet where the city water line comes in from outside the trailer. Have a flashlight handy and follow all the plumbing lines to their destinations, looking for water. If you have an outside shower, this is a notorious place for a broken water line; you may have to pull off the outside shower fixture for a complete inspection. It could be that you have multiple leaks. This would be caused by not winterizing/draining the TM and then exposing it to freezing temperatures. It's also possible that you have just one leak. Once the water gets on the floor of the trailer, it can migrate just about anywhere, making it look like multiple leaks. If you're not comfortable doing the inspection/work yourself, I recommend that you find a good RV dealer in your area. RV plumbing is very similar throughout the industry, so you don't have to find a TM dealer to have this done. Good luck!

I seriously doubt that the black mold in your outside caulking is related to your leak. This is a fairly normal occurrence for trailers living it wet climates, and doesn't really affect anything other than the appearance of the caulk.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

magao4

been there looking for the leak, all is not lost , find, fix, move on, i know it can be a real downer when it happens, but it is not like a tree fell on it or other bad things.
also this is a good thread on mold in your caulk , post #9 i had same concern about mold in my caulk, this kinda let me know what was happening and what to do about it.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=caulking

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Maga04

Thanks guys! After the initial shock wore off and we called Trailmanor (very helpful, btw), we have decided to take it over to Camping World and have them run a leak check. Thankfully, there is minimal damage. Just grateful we found it before we had major issues.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Maga04 -

When Camping World finds and fixes the problem, make sure they tell you exactly what they found and what they did to fix it. Ask to talk to the tech who did the work, not just the salesman at the front desk. If anything goes wrong again - or if the original fix doesn't solve the entire problem - you will be in much better shape to go after it again. Knowledge is power, as they say.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
rumbleweed

Most high pressure leaks are due to connections that can't take the pressure. Once the pressure is lowered, they usually stop.. to check at home, Connect to city water and put a dry paper towel in the palm of your hand. Grab each connection point starting under the sink. Check the paper towel after each grab. It will have a wet spot if the connection is leaking. Many Campgrounds use high pressure to get water to the far end of the line while using small lines. The PEX connections in most RV's are not designed for that pressure.

Tags
plumbing, water leaks, water pump