TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
kflorane

Default scraping noise with tires

I purchased a used 2003 Trailmanor 2720SL back in May. I love it! I do have a question about the tires and bearings. This weekend I put new tires on the trailer. When I spun (by hand) the tires on both sides, I noticed a slight scraping noise with each tire. My first thought was the bearings. On the last camping trip, I felt the hubs and they were not hot at all. The electric brakes work beautifully. Then I remembered my last Coleman camper may have made the same noise and they told me it was normal. Can anyonetell me if this slight scraping noise is normal.
kflorane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Did you or your mechanic adjust the brakes when you replaced the tires? If so, the brakes are to be adjusted such that the pad contacts the drum, then backed off a little bit. Doing so results in slight brake drag, which would make a sound like you describe. The brakes then wear in and take the exact shape of the drum over time, reducing/eliminating the drag, so if that is indeed the sound, it should eventually go away.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Scott O

Sounds like Dave has the problem diagnosed spot-on. The TM brakes are mechanical and have to be adjusted manually. It would seem possible that the mechanic who did your tires may have adjusted the brakes at the same time as it would have been very easy to do. You might check with him and see. If he didn't adjust them then it should be done. The scraping noise should be very slight but still noticeable. If it is very loud or you can feel anything more than a very slight drag on the wheel, they are out of adjustment. I wonder how many TM owners know they should adjust their brakes every once in awhile depending on the amount of use...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
ED-n-KEL

Just an FYI to aid with wheel diagnostics..... bearing issues tend to make more of a low "roar" or "rumbling" noise versus a "scraping" noise.