TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Bill & Lisa

the other reason not to leave the drains open is that dump system gasses can travel up the hose and into your unit. Yes there should be water traps on each internal drain to stop the gas but.....sometimes the smell still finds a way to make it in.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
NiceMustang

Well we're getting ready for our first trip of the season next week as we go away for 5 days! Can't wait!!! We towed it back to MN from WI this last weekend with the new Durango Hemi and wow...what a great drive. No issues at all. Braking was great (moved the controller over from the Escape which was underpowered) and I had no issue with drop or with the wind. I'm only using a straight out hitch bar.

I opened it up last night and started to install the new cabinets for over the range and sink (very simple and easy to do, but I do have to say that there were a few issues getting them from the factory and then they were a bit off in construction, etc but they made up for it so that was good). I also installed the range lid / cover.

All in all we're very excited to go a week from today!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Al-n-Sue

Post Sewer problems continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
I forgot to pull the inside lever on the toilet before I pulled the lever on the outside. I had already dumped the gray water and put the hose up when I realized why the black water only trickled. Alan

Our most recent trip, to Chalk Creek Campground near Buena Vista,CO - when we went to dump, we did everything right - but when I pulled the lever on the black water, something got stuck at the end of the hose and stopped it up. The connection started leaking around the valve until I was able to get the blockage moving. When I got home I put a nice hose clamp around the connector to prevent future problems!

I've finally loaded my Trailmanor page for my web site. It has our history of camping and shows how the many years of camping in tents and popups led to our TM decision. It's a little lengthy, but sort of interesting to camping types. I also have posted pictures of our camper and the mods that have been done as well as the trips we have taken so far. My web site is www.alancavin.com. Click on the "Our Trailmanor Camping Trailer" link in the middle of the page. Comments and feedback are welcome.
Enjoy.
Alan
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:

I've finally loaded my Trailmanor page for my web site. It has our history of camping and shows how the many years of camping in tents and popups led to our TM decision. It's a little lengthy, but sort of interesting to camping types. I also have posted pictures of our camper and the mods that have been done as well as the trips we have taken so far. My web site is www.alancavin.com. Click on the "Our Trailmanor Camping Trailer" link in the middle of the page. Comments and feedback are welcome.
Enjoy.
Alan
Just finished reading through your Web page . . . very nice! Enjoyed looking at the TM photos and your camping history culminating with your new-to-you TM. Our oldest son lived in CO for 4 years and we had the opportunity to visit the area. CO offers majestic vistas and plenty of outdoor recreation. Thanks for sharing.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
Al-n-Sue

Default Impressions from a year later.....

We've had the TM for over a year now, been on numerous campouts (a total of 9 in 2008, and 5 already this year) and have gotten very used to the TM, both towing, setting up, and taking down. So I thought I'd share some thoughts from this past year of camping and tracking the forum.

TOWING
Nothing new here - the Durango is adequate and I've had no problems. My WDH works well and I've learned how to hook/unhook quickly. One project I want to attempt is a backup camera. That would help with hitching when the back of the Durango is full (I can't see my "hitch alignment balls" with the back loaded). I continue to get 11-12 mpg towing mostly close to home - some freeway and short stints of steep mountain climbs. I've discovered that my engine, although with adequate horsepower, does not have great torque so climbing requires good control of the gearing and rpms.
My view of mirrors has changed somewhat. I've grown to like the tow-n-see mirrors. They are easy to attach and remove and being able to adjust them with the electric mirror adjustment is nice. I saw recently that Cipa now has a "suction cup" mirror. I have the Eagle Vision mirrors from CW and I'll use them on a longer trip, but I found them a little bit of a pain to attach and adjustment is definitely a 2 person job. They still vibrate a little.
I'm also looking for a way to store my WDH bars - particularly when we go to the storage lot - I usually go there straight from our campout so the back of the Durango is loaded and there is no place to carry the greasy bars.

SETUP
Setup has become a no-brainer. We have a routine and can setup, once the TM is level, in a matter of minutes. Taking it down still requires some thought - I forgot to turn off the electric hot water heater on a trip last month. Fortunatly I didn't drain the tank, but the thought of plugging in at the next campout haunted me so much that turning it off was the first thing I did when we opened it up. Taking it down still requires some discipline and thought. I used several checklists from this forum and created a checklist of my own specifically for our trailer. Then I had to force myself to remember to use it!

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS
Basically, we love our trailer! I mentioned the electric sheet last time, but we have abandoned that. DW thought the mattress was a bit unsupportive, so we added a 1" memory foam topper. We tried a 2" but couldn't close the shell, and didn't want to make the bed each time, so found that the 1" would work. And memory foam actually reflects body heat very well so we found we didn't need the electric blanket. We have a thermostatically controlled electric heater so we use that and our TM heater seldom comes on.

I've done three major mods since last year. One is adding a cable to the radio to allow a mp3/ipod plug in. I've had partial success with it, but will probably replace the radio with one that has a front plug for the ipod. I also added a battery cutoff switch. Have yet to use it to run the fridge, but may try it on our Labor Day trip. The third I just completed and that is to add a good heavy duty mud flap on the driver side - in front of the dump valves. This is a defense against a possbile blow out. My tires are 6 years old! I know, I kow - I should get new tires. I'm hoping to make it through 2 more trips and then I will get new tires next spring!

Thanks for letting me drone on. Just wanted to share that we are still (even more) happy with the trailer and hope to use it even more next year. Our camping this year is cut short a bit by two grandbabies coming in August (Tennessee) and September (Texas), then DW has shoulder surgery at the end of Sept.

Happy Camping
Alan
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
. . . I'm also looking for a way to store my WDH bars - particularly when we go to the storage lot - I usually go there straight from our campout so the back of the Durango is loaded and there is no place to carry the greasy bars.
I think your model has the same slide out as our 2720 SL. If so, you may be able to store your spring bars in one of the frame members. (see links). Another option is to use a piece of old terry cloth to wrap the greased end of the bars. That way you could safely carry the bars in the back of your truck without fear of spreading grease everywhere.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4&d=1244938181

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&d=1244938181

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Al-n-Sue

Good idea Dick - except for two things - I have a KB so no slide and attendant extra frame members, and I wouldn't want to leave the bars in the storage yard where they are easily "appropriated"!
I usually wrap a paper towel around the greasy end and lay them on one of the plastic containers I carry in the back. But it would be much nicer if I had some kind of box to put them in. I just don't want to carry an extra box with me to camp!
I'll figure something out during the winter. Or may be just keep doing the same thing.
Alan
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
lnussbau

Al,

I've been using the Swift Hitch camera for the last year and a half, or so, and I'm quite pleased with the results, though it'd be nice if the view was more of a wide angle -- I have to get pretty close to the hitch before I can see it. But the camera mounts with a magnet on its base, the screen is color, you can "mirror image" the view (that's default, but a button press changes that), and it has infrared lights on the camera for night operation. It works well for me, and usually I can get hitched on the first try, if I've had the foresight to get the trailer's hitch raised high enough to clear the ball.