TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
El Lobo

Question Brand New Owner

I just got my new 2922KS last Friday! We towed it from the dealer in Portland OR to Stevensville, MT, going over several mountain passes. It was a new experience for us since we have never towed anything this large. Plus it is our very first trailer. (We had always tent camp before.) I am still learning how to back it up and make turns correctly. We got very good gas MPG even going over the passes and having the AC going full blast (it was hot).
I just sent in my application to join the forum. I have already learned a lot by just reading what people have posted. Right now I am 'camping' at home testing out all the features to make sure they work and to see what items we need on our camping trips. We already have a few trips planned for next month. I do have a question. At the dealer, the guy that was showing us how to operate the stove, AC, etc, (which we only retained about 10% of what he said since it was done so quickly), said that we should keep the propane tanks open while towing so the refrigerator would run off them instead of the battery. Everything that I have previously read have stated that, for safety reasons, they should be turned off. Who is correct? Plus, on these hot summer days, is it okay to run the refrigerator while towing and drive 200-400 miles between camp sites? Any help is greatly appreciated!
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Some states do not allow open propane tanks while driving and towing. One of the reasons the salesman suggested not using the TV battery is that with an extended stop and the truck not running, the refrigerator on 12v will run the TV battery down or dead. When we tow, we use the 12v mode and disconnect the 7way connector at the hitch when we stop for an extended period of time. Gas stops are ok, but a 2 hour lunch may be a problem. I don't trust the gas pilot to continue to operate safely while towing or re-ignite if it were to extinguish.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
El Lobo

Thanks for the quick response. I like the idea of disconnecting the 7way connector on an extended break. It seems safer to me.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I like the idea of disconnecting the 7way connector on an extended break. It seems safer to me.
Some owners have installed a battery disconnect switch in the engine compartment.

The most common procedure for prepping to tow and camp is to turn on the refrigerator a good 24 hr ahead of time of departure. We chill ours down while parked in front of our home using the 110a side of the circuit. I use the 30a park plug and place an adapter for household plug. Use an extension cord to plug into a home outlet. Then the day of departure, load up the refrigerator with cold items directly from the home refrigerator. Then switch to 12v mode and close up the TM and hook up the truck connection. Then when you arrive the camp site, either switch to the park plug or propane mode.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
clown9644

I don't know about your vehicle but my Ford F150 turns off the power to the connector when I turn off the engine by a relay. I do not need to remove the Barge. You can check with a volt meter or even a light bulb by connecting to chassis ground and the 12 volt feed with vehicle running it will be lit, of course we want it to go off when you turn off the engine. I met a fella who did not have this feature, had unplugged for lunch and forgot to reconnect so id not have lights or brakes till he noticed his brake controller was off.

Enjoy your new toy!

Dave
Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Parkhopper

Default Don't forget the fan

Dealer suggested for me to run frig fan when towing, if I was cooling the frig.
2013 Nissan Titan SL Factory Tow Package
Parkhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

We have the 2720 in the same floor plan you got and love it. The king size bed sounds wonderful. Crawling over is the only negative thing about our trailer we have not been able to rectify. Not sure I would want to give up another 2 feet for storage in the garage for it but if I were buying again I would certainly have to consider it.

I think rvcycleguy forgot to mention that when running folded down with fridge on 12 V. you need to turn the fridge fan on.

You are going to love your new home away from home!

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkhopper View Post
Dealer suggested for me to run frig fan when towing, if I was cooling the frig.
Yes. The ammonia based absorption system operates more efficiently with the fan on.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
El Lobo

Thanks for all the great advice. Tomorrow I am going to check if the power to the TM from my truck turns off when I turn it off. I will definitely cool the frig 24 hours before heading out and keep the fan going while towing.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. Tomorrow I am going to check if the power to the TM from my truck turns off when I turn it off. I will definitely cool the frig 24 hours before heading out and keep the fan going while towing.
We tow with a 2012 4Runner and have had no problem with the fridge staying cold while under way or with power draw! I believe it works as if you leave your headlights on! It will shut down after a minute or so! We always fill the freezer with a, plastic container w/snap lid, ice block and/or frozen foods! We date back to the ice box days of old and it still works well! Fan on of course!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote