TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Doug Lee

Default Cold under and around sides of bed

Hello, our 2720 SL gives us a problem sleeping when the night temp drops to the low 50's. We replaced the foam "mattress" with an aero bed. But around the sides and back, as well as the floor seems to allow in too much cold. The one on the back is either cold or clammy or sometimes cold and clammy. Has any one else had and solved this problem? We do love our "Manor" but sometimes are sleepless. Doug
Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
BrigCA61

Hi Doug Lee and welcome!

I just spread out a few towels to fill in the gaps around the bed on those cooler nights. You might also want to turn on a small space heater to knock the chill off. We don't experience any cold from the bottom of the bed at all but we did add a 2 inch memory foam pad on top of the standard mattress that came with the TM.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Don't know about the back of the bed, but I followed another tip from a TMO poster. Purchase 2 lengths of foam pipe insulation from a DIY store, cut them to length to fit under the sides of the bed slide and push them up into the side gaps on the outside of the bed when the bed is pulled out. I store them in the front overhead cabinet when traveling.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Our last trip out a few weeks ago we tried the swimming pool noodles on the rear queen in our 2720 and it certainly made a difference.

On both sides of the bed is a gap about 2.5 inches wide and about 4 feet long. A swimming pool noodle can be pressed into this space as additional insulation.

We still had cold air flowing in from behind the closet. This was directly on DWs head. During the day I could see light between the upper rear shell and the lower shell. I stuffed a towel behind the closet and that solved the problem.

To test for air leaks you might try peeking up from the ground at night while all of the interior lights are on to see if you can see light through any gaps. I have not tried this, but I think it will be an easy way to find some of the gaps.

In warmer weather it doesn't matter much, but a cold draft this time of year is very annoying.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
To test for air leaks you might try peeking up from the ground at night while all of the interior lights are on to see if you can see light through any gaps. I have not tried this, but I think it will be an easy way to find some of the gaps.

In warmer weather it doesn't matter much, but a cold draft this time of year is very annoying.

I've used the above method to find out how flying critters were getting into the TM during warm weather. The towel stuffed between the back bed and the closet works. The hardest gap to handle is at the bottom of the door near the stove. I was reading one night and in the corner of my eye, I kept seeing movement. After finally seeing that it was a raccoon's paw trying to find something to eat, I realized that I hadn't totally lost my mind. When I mentioned this to a camp host, she said that the previous campers had kept feeding them even after being warned to stop.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
wwjam

We had a problem with air coming in too. We used the "blue" masking tape and ran a strip along each end of the bed, under the fabric flap. The tape comes off easily, and works well. At the ends of the bed there are gaps behind the wardrobe closet, and next to the folding wall by the tub. Air comes in these gaps so we stuffed foam in them. It really made a difference. At the bottom of the entrance door, directly behind the rubber flap, we put a strip of adhesive foam which helped fill in the gap. We also put foam under the velcroed flaps on each side of the door. Again, helped with the drafts.

Jo Ann
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
JapChinLvr

In the master bed I have a memory foam topper that is bigger than the bed so it covers all the gaps and goes wall to wall. So buy a bigger size and cut to fit. I bought mine cheap at overstock.com.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Our last trip out a few weeks ago we tried the swimming pool noodles on the rear queen in our 2720 and it certainly made a difference.

On both sides of the bed is a gap about 2.5 inches wide and about 4 feet long. A swimming pool noodle can be pressed into this space as additional insulation.

We still had cold air flowing in from behind the closet. This was directly on DWs head. During the day I could see light between the upper rear shell and the lower shell. I stuffed a towel behind the closet and that solved the problem.

I looked for the light showing last night...and what I found was about three or 4 inches of the top edge og the lower wall "glowing"...especially the closer I got to the living room area.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
beach832

I had a similar problem. I bought some foil blanket insulation and duct taped it into a single blanket for the bed floor. I cut pipe insulation to fit into the gaps between the bed pan and the trailer (didn't think of the swim noodles). Probably spent a more than I needed to, but on the otherhand we haven't had any problems with cold bed or drafts.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:

Wayne,

Is your swim noodle fit into the bed channels just firm enough to hold them in place? If the noodle(s) fit is too tight, you may be bowing the upper shell wall outward thus creating the air gap behind the wardrobe.

FWIW
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote