TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
cleaningdeb

Default ? about towing TM

We just bought a new 2006 Ford Freestar van with a tow package do you really think it will tow one of these?? My husband seems very skeptical....i am so excited because i just found the site about TM trailors yesterday......how do they compare with the hi-lo campers....anyone had both and would like to tell me pro's and con's??? So many ?'s going through my head......

thanks
Deborah
Old 06-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Also check your owner's manual for the Star's GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) which includes the loaded Star plus the loaded trailer. We were able to keep our TM 2619 and Honda Odyssey under GCWR but it was just the two of us, we removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the Ody, the TM was a stripped model and we packed light.

My impression is that a lot of people are towing TMs successfully with minivans and similar sized car/minivan based SUVs. Hopefully you'll hear from some of them. You may also want to find the Freestar owner's web site to see what their towing experiences have been.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
Also check your owner's manual for the Star's GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) which includes the loaded Star plus the loaded trailer.
cleaningdeb, a good "rule of thumb" to follow for towing is to keep the total trailer weight (loaded w/your stuff, water, propane, etc.) at least 10% below the towing capacity of your vehicle. So, if your vehicle specs say you can tow 3500#, the total weight of your loaded trailer should not be more than 3150#. This only applies if the numbers of the GVWR calculate out correctly, otherwise you need to reduce the weight in your tow vehicle or trailer (or both) to bring the overall weight within the GVWR less 10%.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
cleaningdeb

Thanks guys for giving me the info.....don't get me wrong i know loaded is very different that before you put all your belongings in there.....but i didn't realize it would add that much..Unless i was given the wrong info about unloaded weight..I was told by someone selling there 2619 model that it weighted a little under 2500 itself. So i should figure around 1000 lbs for my stuff.....is that what you are saying??? I know propane tanks, personel items etc. etc..Just trying to figure it all out...THANKS AGAIN
glad to learn all this before making a mistake but i am a little sad that now i might not be able to get one.....
But better safe than sorry!!!!!!!!!
Deborah

you guys have a GREAT site here!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
pbuck1

Deborah,

You have a vehicle for which it is difficult for anyone to come up with a obvious yes or no answer. Towing RV'ers usually err well on the side of caution (a good thing) and some won't consider anything less than a V8 with 6000+ lb tow rating for towing even a Trailmanor.
Having said that, it is quite possible to keep within the numbers if you load lightly and there are many quite happily towing smaller (and some even mid-size) Trailmanors around with V6 SUVs and minivans with 3500lb tow ratings. Just yesterday I read a report on another forum about someone's successful maiden trip from San Francisco to Colorado Springs towing a 2720SL with a Toyota Highlander.

You have the following advantages:
- The trailmanor is low profile without the high wind resistance and instabilities inherent in full-height travel trailers. If you assume that TV manufacturers' ratings and typical towing rules of thumb are based on the full-height trailers this is a definite advantage.
- At 120 inches the Freestar has a much longer wheelbase compared to the typical V6 SUV or minivan. This is a highly regarded attribute for towing stability and safety.
- With luck you have the larger engine with 263lb ft torque. That's not a bad figure and will help on the inclines.

Also, see this link: http://www.rvlifemag.com/file343/hitchhints343.html

If you have the Ford tow package it is probably just a class II hitch receiver. You would be best swapping this out for a class III receiver. For a minivan suspension you will almost definitely need a WDH (weight distribution hitch) to relieve the hitch of some of the tongue weight and to get more weight on the van's front wheels (however, I don't know the recommendations for using a WDH with this van). You will also need a good brake controller fitted to the van.

The Hi-Lo is typically much heavier than an equivalent TM and the towing with a Freestar question becomes moot.

In the end, the decision is up to you and will depend on your usage of the TM and your comfort level. You should read the past posts concerning smaller TVs the Towing Rigs section of this forum and you might also see if there is Ford Freestar forum where towing is discussed.

Hope this helps

-Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaningdeb
...I was told by someone selling there 2619 model that it weighted a little under 2500 itself. So i should figure around 1000 lbs for my stuff.....is that what you are saying???
Deb,
The TrailManor website, www.trailmanor.com, lists the "dry weight" of the 2619 at 2673# and tongue weight of 351#. Based on the mfr's info you can add 1350# of "your stuff" to meet the maximum load capacity of the trailer. However, as stated by others earlier, you have to factor in the GVWR of your tow vehicle. With the water, propane and your stuff, you'll get within 10% of your GVWR real quick without much of your stuff added.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
PopBeavers

I carry 47.5 gallons of water. 40 fresh, 6 water heater, 1.5 to charge the toilet. This is almost 400 pounds of personal stuff alone.

Last summer I loaded all the stuff I thought I would ever take for a week+ trip and weighed it. I did not weigh the tongue, but the axle on my 2720 weighed 3380 pounds.

Assuming my tongue weight is 15 percent (just a guess) then when FULLY loaded I weight about 3900 pounds axle plus tongue.

Some of my stuff is heavy:
2 folding tables
6 camping chairs
2 cases of cold beverages of my choice
milk and fruit juice
a well stocked bar in case friends stop by unexpectedly (where y'all been)
pots and pans
plastic plates, bowls, cups, glasses, etc.
paper plates, bowls, cups, glasses, etc. (not sure why we have both)
canned food
outdoor carpet
coleman stove
bbq
briquettes
hoses
games
as many vinyl table cloths as DW thinks is necessary to have

Stuff is heavy