TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #61
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
To recap this, maybe I have it correct:

1. Later models like my 2008 2619 (when closed) have a 15A 3-prong AC plug under a hatch on the rear left side of the trailer.

2. This 15A 3-prong is fine for keeping the batteries charged, and overcomes the parasitic loads.

3. This 15A 3-prong, continuously plugged in, will not overcharge the batteries. The factory electronics function as a high-quality battery tender.

Correct?

(I have the dual 6V batteries on the tongue, no modifications that I can see, looks to be stock everything, control panels, everything)
Ok, quoting myself but I wanted to put this out and see if people still think the converter in my 2008 will overcharge the batteries.

It's a WFCO WF8955A, here is info on it http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/

It's a 3-stage, isn't that the ultimate? Stage 1 = 14.4vdc, Stage 2 = 13.6vdc, Stage 3 = 13.2vdc.

I understand earlier models had only a 2-stage and that was why the batts were overcharging?

EDIT: I researched the latest/greatest converters like Parallax, these are 4-stage, Stage 4 = every 21 hours there is a 15 min 14.4vdc surge meant to prevent battery plate sulfation.

Other than the added Stage 4, it appears the first three stages operate exactly the same as the WFCO 8955.

Sure would be nice to have a 4-stage, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation but now I see how a $159 upgrade to something like this could be a good idea http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondoc...955_c_196.html
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #62
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Flipflop,

There are sometimes differences between what manufacturers say about their products and reality. If your battery doesn't cook, well maybe the newer WFCO does have a three-stage charger. But there is no schematic online and given the quality of their older products, there's no reason to take them at their word.

A meter would also be helpful in seeing what voltage it maintains the battery at after a few days plugged in.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #63
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

FlipFlop -

I'm a little confused by your posts #60 and #61. I don't know if you are responding to me, but I will go ahead anyway and address your posts.

First, your picture in #60 shows an orange cord coming out of the mousehole. What is that orange cord? Your questions in #61 sound like it is another shore power cord, designed to plugged into a campground power post or an outlet in your garage. I hope that is not true. If so, who installed it? It certainly is not from the factory. At the same time, the big black cord, usually known as "the big black shore power cord" is shown coiled up in the left bumper compartment. This big black cord usually comes out of the mousehole. As I mentioned in #59 above, I carry my big black cord in the left bumper compartment, just as you do, because I find the mousehole to be inconvenient with this cord. Incidentally, this big black cord also has a three-prong plug on the end, so when you refer to "the 3-prong plug", it can be a bit confusing.

Back to the orange cord. If it is indeed a power cord, and it is wired directly in parallel with the big black cord, this is very bad. Why? If you plug the orange cord into an outlet, that will make the prongs on the black cord electrically live, and since that cord is just hanging around with its prongs exposed, it is a dangerous shock and fire hazard. The opposite is true as well, of course - plugging in the big black cord will energize the orange cord. So I'm hoping that the orange cord somehow goes to your solar setup, and that it isn't really a power cord with a 3-prong AC plug on the end.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #64
Bill
Site Team

A couple other notes in response to #60 and #61.

Terminology: The big black shore power cord is usually referred to as "the big black shore power cord". The cord itself may or may not be manufactured by a company called Bargman, but by custom (on this board, at least), the term "Bargman" means the 7-pin plug at the front of your trailer, the one that plugs into your tow vehicle.

You asked about 15 inch tires. Until very recently, all TMs except one of the largest ones (3124?) came from the factory with 14-inch tires and wheels. A number of our members, including me, modified our trailers to have 15-inch tire and wheels. The mod is quite easy, though it may require adding a device called a "lift kit" to your trailer. I don't think the shape of the wheel well opening is directly relevant. At any rate, there is a ton of information on this board about making the change. Just scroll down through the titles in the Tires forum to find much more than you wanted to know.

Finally, with regard to reliance on the TM's converter to keep the battery properly charged during long-term storage (say a month or more). I am 100% in agreement with Bruce Perens - don't do it. You will have much better luck simply disconnecting your battery if your storage period is a couple months or less. If longer, unplug the TM from shore power, and connect a good maintenance charger directly to the battery.

Bill
Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #65
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
FlipFlop -

I'm a little confused by your posts #60 and #61. I don't know if you are responding to me, but I will go ahead anyway and address your posts.

First, your picture in #60 shows an orange cord coming out of the mousehole. What is that orange cord? Your questions in #61 sound like it is another shore power cord, designed to plugged into a campground power post or an outlet in your garage. I hope that is not true. If so, who installed it? It certainly is not from the factory. At the same time, the big black cord, usually known as "the big black shore power cord" is shown coiled up in the left bumper compartment. This big black cord usually comes out of the mousehole. As I mentioned in #59 above, I carry my big black cord in the left bumper compartment, just as you do, because I find the mousehole to be inconvenient with this cord.

Back to the orange cord. If it is indeed a power cord, and it is wired directly in parallel with the big black cord, this is very bad. Why? If you plug the orange cord into an outlet, that will make the prongs on the black cord electrically live, and since that cord is just hanging around with its prongs exposed, it is a dangerous shock hazard. The opposite is true as well, of course - plugging in the big black cord will energize the orange cord. So I'm hoping that the orange cord somehow goes to your solar setup, and does not have an AC plug on the end.

Bill
Ahh. I think there's something different going on here, if I'm reading the previous page's posts correctly. I think he's got a 30A -> 15A adapter plugged onto the "big black cord", and then the orange 15A extension plugged into that adapter, and left the adapter (and the ends plugged into it) inside the bumper. This keeps the outside neater, if all he wants to do is plug the 15A orange cord into the wall. This kind of set up wouldn't have the live end worry (and is obviously completely reversible by removing the 30A->15A adapter).
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #66
flipflop

Quote:
FlipFlop -

First, your picture in #60 shows an orange cord coming out of the mousehole. What is that orange cord? Your questions in #61 sound like it is another shore power cord, designed to plugged into a campground power post or an outlet in your garage. I hope that is not true. If so, who installed it? It certainly is not from the factory. At the same time, the big black cord, usually known as "the big black shore power cord" is shown coiled up in the left bumper compartment. This big black cord usually comes out of the mousehole. As I mentioned in #59 above, I carry my big black cord in the left bumper compartment, just as you do, because I find the mousehole to be inconvenient with this cord. Incidentally, this big black cord also has a three-prong plug on the end, so when you refer to "the 3-prong plug", it can be a bit confusing.

Back to the orange cord. If it is indeed a power cord, and it is wired directly in parallel with the big black cord, this is very bad. Why? If you plug the orange cord into an outlet, that will make the prongs on the black cord electrically live, and since that cord is just hanging around with its prongs exposed, it is a dangerous shock and fire hazard. The opposite is true as well, of course - plugging in the big black cord will energize the orange cord. So I'm hoping that the orange cord somehow goes to your solar setup, and that it isn't really a power cord with a 3-prong AC plug on the end.

Bill
The bigend shorepower cord has an adapter on it that converts it to a standard house 3-prong 115VAC male plug.

The bigend shorepower cord stays in the bumper, the adapter cord goes to the mousehole.

The orange cord is a typical house 3-prong 115VAC extension cord. The male end goes to a house outlet, female end plugs into the male shorepower cord adapter INSIDE the mousehole. The mousehole cover closes and locks over the orange extension cord.

I don't have to force the trailer power cord back into the trailer, just open the cover, detach the orange cord, close and lock the mousehole.

This is in my driveway or at another house. At a campground I would detach the adapter and run the bigend black power cord directly from the bumper.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #67
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Ahh. I think there's something different going on here, if I'm reading the previous page's posts correctly. I think he's got a 30A -> 15A adapter plugged onto the "big black cord", and then the orange 15A extension plugged into that adapter, and left the adapter (and the ends plugged into it) inside the bumper. This keeps the outside neater, if all he wants to do is plug the 15A orange cord into the wall. This kind of set up wouldn't have the live end worry (and is obviously completely reversible by removing the 30A->15A adapter).
Yes, this.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #68
Bill
Site Team

Thanks, FlipFlop, for straightening me out. Since I am an electrical engineer and electrician, there are a few things that get me breathing fast. Among them (you don't have either of these) is an adapter cord with a male plug at each end, used by some folks to plug a generator into their home circuits when commercial power fails. Another is a two-cords-in-parallel hookup.

By the way, I like your setup now that I understand it. It keeps the connectors out of the weather, and clean.

Bill
Old 10-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #69
flipflop

Quote:
A couple other notes in response to #60 and #61.

Terminology: The big black shore power cord is usually referred to as "the big black shore power cord". The cord itself may or may not be manufactured by a company called Bargman, but by custom (on this board, at least), the term "Bargman" means the 7-pin plug at the front of your trailer, the one that plugs into your tow vehicle.

You asked about 15 inch tires. Until very recently, all TMs except one of the largest ones (3124?) came from the factory with 14-inch tires and wheels. A number of our members, including me, modified our trailers to have 15-inch tire and wheels. The mod is quite easy, though it may require adding a device called a "lift kit" to your trailer. I don't think the shape of the wheel well opening is directly relevant. At any rate, there is a ton of information on this board about making the change. Just scroll down through the titles in the Tires forum to find much more than you wanted to know.

Finally, with regard to reliance on the TM's converter to keep the battery properly charged during long-term storage (say a month or more). I am 100% in agreement with Bruce Perens - don't do it. You will have much better luck simply disconnecting your battery if your storage period is a couple months or less. If longer, unplug the TM from shore power, and connect a good maintenance charger directly to the battery.

Bill
Thanks for all the help and info from you Bruce Perens, Padgett, Pair, et al.

I'm thinking about upgrading the WFCO 8955 to a 4-stage.

I'll look at the Tires section, 15" tires and a lift kit would be nice for the rocky roads and washouts.

Our previous trailer with 14's did well, though. It was 19' also with the same short rear overhang as this 2619. I made sure I measured from rear tire to rear bumper that it was the same as our previous. Don't want to be out exploring in Arizona going through gullies and have the rear bumper hang up on the backside of a gully while the 4Runner and the front of the trailer are on the frontside!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #70
flipflop

Quote:
Thanks, FlipFlop, for straightening me out. Since I am an electrical engineer and electrician, there are a few things that get me breathing fast. Among them (you don't have either of these) is an adapter cord with a male plug at each end, used by some folks to plug a generator into their home circuits when commercial power fails. Another is a two-cords-in-parallel hookup.

By the way, I like your setup now that I understand it. It keeps the connectors out of the weather, and clean.

Bill
That's how it was setup when I bought it, so there was confusion for both of us. I thought the way mine was set up was what everybody had.

The more I dig into this trailer and the mods available (thanks to all you good folks) the more I'm looking forward to extended boondocking in the desert for winter. This trailer will be a great roughroader with comfort, that's all you can ask for.