TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #51
moaboy

Tire Traker System cost $169 for 2 sensor system.
You have to call them as well.
I'm trying to figure out if I want to go 2 or 6 that is just monitor the TM or all tires...?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #52
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
After a week of emailing back and forth to TST (in which they basically ignored the questions I asked, but answered questions I didn't ask), I finally got the definitive answer.

They will sell me a 2-sensor 507 system, including shipping and a 3-year warranty, for $143. Despite the link that LeSherp provided, they consider this a special item, and so it must be ordered by phone. Call
Debbie Fields
Operations Manager
Phone: 770-889-9102

This sounds to me like a rather good price. I am not going to worry about a sensor for the spare tire, thinking that it is not loaded and is safely hidden from road hazards. In all the years I've owned a TM, I've had lots of failures of tires on the pavement, but never a problem with a spare.

Bill
Just received the 507 system and plan on installing it when I pull the TM out of the shed next week.

Thanks again, Bill, very reasonable price for that extra peace of mind when traveling.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #53
stormpeakco

Default Tst 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Just received the 507 system and plan on installing it when I pull the TM out of the shed next week.

Thanks again, Bill, very reasonable price for that extra peace of mind when traveling.
Thanks Bill, I spoke with Ms. Fields @ TST and received some additional info (no requirement to reconfigure with metal valve stems with the 'non-flow through' sensors-very light weight, confirmed no requirement to re-calibrate sensor to add air to the tire w/temporary sensor removal) and ordered a two sensor system (507) for $159 shipped (yesterday).

I do hope the equipment has some longer term durability though thus far, I'm impressed with the company (web site and favorable product reviews), staff (conversation/email) and owner (Mr. Covington-email). Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #54
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I have the TST flow through sensors and I just called them. They absolutely recommend the steel valve stems for this model. I have yet to install them so I asked which ones they would recommend. They suggested going out to Camping World which I did. I may be missing something, but I did not see anything there that looked like what I should get. Any recommendations for where I should get them? I have read the older threads on this, so am looking for an update...
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #55
Terryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
I have the TST flow through sensors and I just called them. They absolutely recommend the steel valve stems for this model. I have yet to install them so I asked which ones they would recommend. They suggested going out to Camping World which I did. I may be missing something, but I did not see anything there that looked like what I should get. Any recommendations for where I should get them? I have read the older threads on this, so am looking for an update...
Since you will need to take the tires to a tire shop to have the stems put into the rims anyhow, I feel sure any tire shop will have the steel valve stems available.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #56
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
Since you will need to take the tires to a tire shop to have the stems put into the rims anyhow, I feel sure any tire shop will have the steel valve stems available.
That does not appear to be the case where I live. They are all scratching their heads. Is this the right kind of product? http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...438_0467787444
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #57
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First of all, I think your NAPA stems are the right ones. But I am no tire expert. You need to Search for posts by wmtire - he is the expert, and a tire dealer and tire shop owner, and he has imparted a lot of wisdom to the group. He has always referred to them as bolt-in units, and the sizes he has mentioned conform to the 0.453 and 0.625 in your NAPA link. They are a direct replacment for the rubber stems that come with most wheels.

Start with these thread, the first ones that came up in my Search. They even have pictures. You can find more.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12772
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13973

But something is wrong. Going to a tire shop and being told they don't know about steel valve stems is like going to McDonalds and being told they don't know about ketchup. Any time McDonalds sells a burger, it has ketchup, and any time a tire shop sells a tire designed to run at more than 65 psi, it has steel valve stems. It is true that neither ketchup nor steel valve stems are the primary items they sell. But neither business can do business without them.

My guess is that by the time they dismount two tires, replace the valves, remount the tires, and rebalance them, they are afraid that the total cost would scare you, and give them a bad rep. Or perhaps they are worried about tire balance with the new TPMS sensors on the stems.

Or perhaps you told them that you used something like SLIME in the tires at some point? Many shops won't touch a SLIMED tire.

I would suggest trying a different shop, even if it is just a phone call rather than a visit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #58
Sterman
Site Sponsor

I just called Debbie Fields, at TST, and ordered the 507 system Bill described for $159 shipped.
You get the option of standard or flow-through sensors for the same cost. The flow-through sensors allow you to check and fill air without removing the sensors, but you do need to have metal stems because the sensors are bigger and heavier.
I opted for the standard sensors because I'm not sure that I have the metal stems. Additional sensors, either standard or flow-through, can be ordered from TST for $50 each.
Thanks, Bill and Lesherp!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #59
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
First of all, I think your NAPA stems are the right ones. But I am no tire expert. You need to Search for posts by wmtire - he is the expert, and a tire dealer and tire shop owner, and he has imparted a lot of wisdom to the group. He has always referred to them as bolt-in units, and the sizes he has mentioned conform to the 0.453 and 0.625 in your NAPA link. They are a direct replacment for the rubber stems that come with most wheels.

Start with these thread, the first ones that came up in my Search. They even have pictures. You can find more.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12772
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13973

But something is wrong. Going to a tire shop and being told they don't know about steel valve stems is like going to McDonalds and being told they don't know about ketchup. Any time McDonalds sells a burger, it has ketchup, and any time a tire shop sells a tire designed to run at more than 65 psi, it has steel valve stems. It is true that neither ketchup nor steel valve stems are the primary items they sell. But neither business can do business without them.

My guess is that by the time they dismount two tires, replace the valves, remount the tires, and rebalance them, they are afraid that the total cost would scare you, and give them a bad rep. Or perhaps they are worried about tire balance with the new TPMS sensors on the stems.

Or perhaps you told them that you used something like SLIME in the tires at some point? Many shops won't touch a SLIMED tire.

I would suggest trying a different shop, even if it is just a phone call rather than a visit.

Bill
I found a shop that understood exactly what I wanted....so I will do that.
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #60
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

FunPilot, they shouldn't charge much. The tire place recommended by my RV shop quoted me $5 per tire to change out the stems.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote