TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #31
kpierce

Happytrails,

What is your web site URL?..I found it.

Kevin
06 3124KS
Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #32
larsdennert

I have to prop one foot on the bumper and use both hands to pull the rear shell up. The bars are cranked all the way. The front shell is only slightly better. Closing the rear shell also takes my full weight against it and lots of bouncing on the handles to latch. VERY FRUSTRATING.

The new ones at the dealers almost open themselves.

I'm thinking to actually remove tension on the inside/center bars of each shell. Maybe the inside section of the shell popping up inhibits the rear part of the shell from being lifted. Additionally, high tension on the inside bars makes latching tough. The shells appear level but maybe something is wrong with the length adjustment on the arms. I haven't seen that discussed much.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I took my TM to a TM dealer once to adjust the lifting mechanism. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up basically teaching them what little I knew, which I had learned from this forum, and paid $100/hr and drove 3 hrs round trip to do it.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #34
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larsdennert wrote
Quote:
Closing the rear shell also takes my full weight against it and lots of bouncing on the handles to latch.
Lars -

You've around long enough - but not everybody has - to know that if you have anything on the rear bed, the shell can be very hard to close. Have you tried pulling off that last comforter / quilt / whatever, just as an experiment?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #35
larsdennert

Yea we usually strip the beds to the sheets but that has happened to me too. Luckily the kid wasn't still in the bed also.

I did a bunch of adjusting on the shells today and posted a new thread on what I think helped balance them out. I'm pretty skinny too and that doesn't help the latching issue. At this point I have all the adjustment turned out of the front bars and all the tension turned in on the rear bars of the rear shell. That shell was not balanced level and I think balance in all directions was key to it opening smooth and LEVEL. Adjusted my pocket stops too...

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8160
Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #36
PopBeavers

I had my dealer, Stan at Dinuba RV, adjust them the first year. Mainly to level the frotn unk.

At any rate, they did a good job, but the bars are definatly stiffer than they originally were. My daughter, 28 and rather petite, can no longer close the shells. When you pop the latch it bounces up about a foot all by itself.

I decided to leave it that way, on the theory that they will eventually sag with time.

At 220 pounds, I have no trouble closing them.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #37
wilma1002

Default Front Shell difficult to open, but easy to close.

Hi folks, I puchased a 2000 2027SL last fall and still learning lots about it. I am new to this website and was wondering if anyone could help me out. When lifting the front shell, I have great difficulty getting it to open up, once it starts to open, it seems to keep going, but getting it to lift up the first foot or so is the problem. It will go down fairly easy. I have no problems with the rear shell. Which bolts (the ones at the very front of the trailer or the center ones) should I be adjusting and in which direction? I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #38
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Welcome to the forum!

There is a good guide for making the adjustments posted earlier in this thread and is located here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...51&postcount=2

Tim
Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #39
jimwilly

Default Shell Adjustment

I read with great interest the post on adjusting the torsion bars. I do, however, have one question concerning the adjustment. When the instructions tell you to turn the bolt "in", does that mean to turn each bolt, no matter which side of the TrailManor the bolt resides on, inward toward the center of the TrailManor? Or does "in" mean something entirely different?

Thanks for any reply.
jimwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #40
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
I read with great interest the post on adjusting the torsion bars. I do, however, have one question concerning the adjustment. When the instructions tell you to turn the bolt "in", does that mean to turn each bolt, no matter which side of the TrailManor the bolt resides on, inward toward the center of the TrailManor? Or does "in" mean something entirely different?

Thanks for any reply.
On either side, "in" essentially means "to tighten", which, if you are laying on the ground and looking up facing the bolt, would be clockwise.

Tim